Project management risk tracking

Andy Lynex September 15, 2014

I'm looking to use JIRA to track risk and issues in a standard project management environment (i.e. the project isn't specifically agile development orientated). We like the collaboration features but don't need to relate our risks and issues to development tasks.

I realise we could create a category of issue named 'risk' and add the fields we want and appropriate workflow but thought someone must have done this before. Does anyone have a configuration of risks/ issue fields etc. which would be suitable?

4 answers

5 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2014

I had one customer who had Risk as an issue type. Pretty straight forward config.

Had summary, description, severity and owner as fields. Workflow was just Open and Closed. They were linking the risks to other issue types and was using the links in workflow conditions.

1 vote
Marion Lepmets _SoftComply_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 9, 2017

SoftComply has developed a risk management add-on for JIRA Cloud users that is fully customizable - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com-softcomply-riskmanager-cloud/cloud/overview

For more information, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@softcomply.com / www.softcomply.com

0 votes
Natasha Bartlett August 14, 2019

This is not an answer but a question.  To utilise Project Balm do you need to have Jira installed.  I am currently just working with Confluence Licences

David Pinn August 17, 2019

Hello Natasha. Yes, Risk Register by ProjectBalm is an add-on for Atlassian Jira. It makes extensive use of Jira's built-in features for issue tracking, commenting, workflow, issue assignment, reporting, and so on. 

David Pinn
ProjectBalm

0 votes
David Pinn July 10, 2015

I know this is an old thread, but I can't resist. I've just built a plugin for JIRA that does the configuration for you. See http://www.projectbalm.com/risk-register/. It can be very tricky doing the kind of configuration you are imagining, especially when schemes are shared between projects. The Risk Register plugin creates a new Risk issue type, and sets you up with the field schemes, screen schemes, issue type schemes that you need. It also creates a workflow that is automatically attached to Risk issues. You can view your risks in a colorful risk matrix too.

Ian F June 14, 2018

But RISK management is now part of a larger tool

Things like Issues, Dependencies and Assumptions also need to be manged on the dashboard

How does this tool handle those customized needs?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer