Project management as an epic? or project or ?

Ahmed Alghamdi August 14, 2017

Hello, I am the scrum master of a large agile project (over 30 people team). and since we are a large cooperation, I am still doing some work of a typical PM with external PMO and as a scrummaster with my team.

the question. I feel like i'm using so many sticky notes to keep myself reminded of the many tasks i need to followup with. So i'm thinking maybe to add an epic call it PM ? but i don't really want all those tonz of tickets to miss the product backlog?

i'm also thinking maybe to create a new project, and make it for PM related stuff? but not sure it is the most pheasable ?

I would like something like Trello, while not effecting product backlog? i'd like to see the tasks in a board so i see which is to do and which is in progress and done? jira is amazing for all the reports it can extract too so it would be great to find a way in JIRA rather than using another tool

Ideas?

3 answers

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2017

Hi Ahmed,

I understand the issue which you are facing. I have implemented a solution to a similar problem at a client.

First, write down all the tasks that are common for most of the Epic/Stories which the team is working upon. It can be taking approvals from build team, release team, Finance team etc. basically all the tasks common to waterfall way of working .

Now, you can use two approaches.

1) Use checklist plugin - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.okapya.jira.checklist/server/overview

Using this plugin you can add repetetive process tasks on the stories/epics that need to be done by an tranditional PM.

2) If the number of tasks isn't much then you can also "create sub-tasks" upont certain workflow transitions. i.e. once the devs do their work then create a sub-task for deploy approval etc.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Tarun,

however i'm not worried about the trasks tracking of the development. 

I am more concerned about PM followup stuff (like follow up with marketing approval on the new icon, follow up with the government approval on such transaction, make sure that department is meeting with us to discuss something, and the such)

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2017

Then checklist plugin would be suited for the task. As you can add various tasks on the story and they have to be checked before the story is actually closed.

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2017

A Jira Admin can restrict access to any project, so that you could be the only one who can view / edit items in that project

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2017

Hi Ahmed

I'm not sure how an epic helps you, I would go for a separate project and you can just add all your items as Tasks. Create a Kanban board with a simple 3 column ToDo, In Progress, Done set up. 

hmm yup thanks!,, is that the most pheasable solution,, or maybe an addon or some other tools? if i go with the project, i might want to restrict the views to only me. and i'm a bit concerned all the tickets will be shown for the teams when they search issues. 

Suggest an answer