Project lead to unassigned

Lars Olav Refnin August 23, 2022

Hi,

I have a project we want to archive, and the current project lead has stopped working at the company. 

So I want to set the project lead to unassigned (no licensed user), inactivate the user, and archive the project.

My problems:

1. The user cannot be inactivated even though the project has been archived. Why??

2. Managed to get the project out of archive, but cannot change the project lead to unassigned or to a default role (unassigned) -- I do not want to set in a new person as this might create the same problem in the future. And the project shall be archived again immediatly when I have changed the project lead. How to set project lead to no user when it was set to a user? I have no problem setting it to a new user.

Main problem:

An user cannot be inactivated even though all projects they were active part of are archived.

Lars Olav

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

Hi @Lars Olav Refnin 

• Project Lead in Project Settings Details is required and User has to be selected
  • There are two options in Project Settings Details on Project Default you can give which is either Project lead or Unassigned

ProjectLead.png

Choose the appropriate user as Project lead other than user who has left the Org

To remove the access of user, you have to be Jira Admin and follow the doc below / reach out to Jira Admin for the same

https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/remove-or-suspend-a-user

Let me know if you have any queries

Thanks,
Pramodh

[deleted]

I am already a site admin, and can delete/inactivate users. My problem is that the user I tried to inactivate was a project lead in a archived project, and this throws an error that I cannot inactivate user due to the fact that they are a project lead. We are using Jira Cloud, the permission to change the project lead is a somewhat different dialog.

user-error.png

This is my whole problem, and I do not want to insert a new user as a project lead in an archived project -- because this will lead to the same problem in the future. And my user groups are so high that doing this manually is not really feasiable each time we want to inactivate or delete a user that is either a component lead, or project lead. 

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

Hi @Lars Olav Refnin 

Seems like this is Server / DC Version the Screenshot is referring to

In Cloud, we can Suspend the access and even if the user is the Project lead / Component of any number of Projects

If it's Server / DC, we can't deactivate the User unless you have chosen the other user to be a project lead.

Can you let me know how you access the Site / URL

Like Lars Olav Refnin likes this

Thanks. We are not on cloud.

Like Pramodh M likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders