Project key with numbers

Aliaksei Mishenin November 10, 2013

Is there any known issues for project keys with numbers?

We thinking about changing 'jira.projectkey.patter' parameter to allow numbers, but afraid that something can go wrong with these keys (as within JIRA itself, as well and with Confluence / Fisheye links).

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2013

They can break some addons (notably Agile), and changes to the key are not supported by Atlassian.

However, the break of addons only seems to happen when you use a number as the first letter of a key, and Jira 6.1 does improve support for changes of key. Although it's not an explicit recommendation by Atlassian, the general advice is to keep the first character of the key as A-Z, then you can use A-Z, 0-9 and underscores for the rest of it (minimum length 2 characters as well)

Aliaksei Mishenin November 10, 2013

I'm sorry, but what exactly doesn't supported by Atlassian? Bugs related to project keys with numbers?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2013

Changing the project key to something outside an Atlassian recommended format is not supported.

They'll code on the assumption that you don't go outside a recommended format, so there's a small chance that they might even add new problems inadvertently.

In other words, if you do it, and you have a problem which needs support, then Atlassian are entitled to say that they aren't going to try to help you, at least until you go back to a supported format. (In real life, they'll really do their best to help you without demanding changes like that)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2013

@Nic: I would not recommend having an underscore as my project key. It is a known issue on jira 5.0-jira5.2.5 that activity stream does not work if project key has underscore. Fixed in 5.2.5 though.

Rahul

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2013

I know, I was assuming version 6.1 - we all had a lot of "fun" when the discussions around 6.0 and moving to A-Z only came up...

1 vote
HenriqueA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2013

Hi Aliaksei,

It's not a problem to use numbers on key format.

I just recommend that you use the supported format. Here is what the official documentation says:

Ensure that you choose a supported project key format. Only formats that meet all of the following rules are supported:

- The first character must be a letter,

- All letters used in the project key must be from the Modern Roman Alphabet and upper case, and

- Only letters, numbers or the underscore character can be used.

Examples:

Examples of supported keys: PRODUCT_2013, R2D2, MY_EXAMPLE_PROJECT.

Examples of unsupported keys: 2013PROJECT (first character is not a letter), PRODUCT-2012 (hyphens are not supported).

If you want to see the complete documentation, here is the link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Changing+the+Project+Key+Format

Cheers,

Suggest an answer