Project import very slow

In JIRA 6.0.3 if I'm doing a test import to the test environment, the first two steps of the import process is sufficiently fast. The same first two steps in a production environment is extremely slow. I would be interested in what is happening in these steps. Refer to the database already during the first step to JIRA? The test and production environments virtual machines are clones, the database environment differs.

3 answers

1 accepted

Hi Andras,

That's odd. Generally, MSSQL is the fastest to perform the import, and MySQL is the slowest. Just to confrim we are on the same page, the steps you are referring to are:

1. Specify the backup file
  2. Select a project
  3. Review data mapping validations
  4. Verify the restored project

The first two steps, are not related to the database they are related to the XML backup. However, the latter 2 steps may be related to the database, as they check for the values from the database.

The process might be slow, due to not enough resources in your machine, as importing data requires a lot of resources. Perhaps, you would like to check the resources allocated for your JIRA instance during the importing process to check whether they are enough and the disk is not running our of resource in that process.

The test environment has a local mysql database. The production environment sits in a separate MSSQL database server. This can cause the problem? The production DB environments has known performance failures. Has the first phase of the import been using the JIRA database? Or is it just parse the xml?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

106 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you