Project gets deleted when a permission scheme is associated with it.

Angie Elliott May 21, 2021

I created a new permission scheme. But when I assign that scheme to a newly created project, the project that started with the default permission scheme, the project gets deleted (no longer shows when I do "View all Projects"). Can anyone help please? Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2021

The project is not being deleted.  You are applying a permission scheme to it that does not include you as a person who is allowed to see it, so it is being hidden from you.

There's an important security concept here that a lot of software implements really poorly, and I think you're assuming Jira gets it wrong too.  It does not.

Admin rights mean admin rights.  Not "can do everything", just "this person is an admin so they can change config"

Imagine you have this set up:

• User: Alice, who is in groups: can-use-jira, jira-admin, and team-purple
  • User: Bob, who is in groups: can-use-jira, team-scarlet and team-blue
  • Permission scheme that includes the line "Browse project: team-scarlet" (and no other instructions to let other people browse)

Alice is an admin, by dint of her being in the group jira-admin, and Alice creates a new project, using that permission scheme.

As an admin, Alice will be able to see the new project in the administrator's list of projects and, well, administrate it.

But Alice is not in the only group that can see the project.  So when she's working in the standard parts of Jira (rather than in the admin area), she can't see it.

Bob can use the project because he's in team-scarlet.  If Alice needs to use the project, you'll need to add her to team-scarlet or amend the permissions to allow her to see it some other way.

Angie Elliott May 24, 2021

Nic, thank you for this. I fixed it. The problem wasn't the permission scheme. I went into User mgt, found my name, clicked View Permissions and added myself as an admin to the project I had created, and voila. Now I can see the project open it, and edit it. 

I have to say it is pretty illogical to allow someone to create a project but then not even by default giving them permission to browse it. I had even created issues when I first created the project. But when I tried to open the project again, it didn't show on my list. So not intuitive!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2021

To be clear, it was the permission scheme at fault, but that was only a part of the problem.

The permission scheme is a set of rules that says who can do what in a project.  So the problem was that you did not match any of the rules that define who can see it.

By adding yourself as an admin, you started to match one of the rules, so it's fixed now.

Whilst I see the power and flexibility of the permissions and user/group/role stuff, I can see it leads to a lot of counter-intuitive stuff.  I totally agree with you that "'create project' doesn't default the person doing it into a role that can see the project" is illogical and, frankly, a right royal pain in the neck.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2021

Everywhere I've been a JIRA admin I haven't needed to work in the most of the projects people requested I create. This model follows the best practices of security; only give access to what is required. Projects may have sensitive data that the JIRA admin doesn't have a need to know and maybe shouldn't know. 

Angie Elliott May 25, 2021

That would make sense if I would not be able to assign myself the admin role for the project I just created but that is exactly what I was able to do.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2021

Not every system is perfect. But in my experience with a variety of tools, the person installing and configuring them don't need to them, or in the case of JIRA you don't need to work in the many projects you create. Maybe you have a small shop. I managed over 100 projects and only used 3-4 of them. 

0 votes
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2021

Hi @Angie Elliott  It seems to be a permission issue. Project never delete after appying permission. If you are JIRA Admin not Project Admin >> Click Setting icon on >> Click Project >> Search of the project. It should be visible even if no one having browse project permission.

Projects.PNG

When I do that, it takes me to the project settings page, but it won't allow me to see the actual project page. When I try to view the actual project page I created, it denies me access, even tough I created that project as a jira admin.

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2021

Hi @Angie Elliott @if you can access project settings then go to Permission scheme and switch scheme or edit current permission scheme. 

If am understanding it correctly You are not able to see the issues right but able to see project setting ? 

thanks

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2021

Applying a permission scheme isn't going to delete a project. It sounds like you don't have browse permission in that scheme. Unless you are using the JIRA admin functions to manage projects you won't see it if you don't have browse permission. 

Hi Joe, thank you for the quick response. I am logged into Jira as an admin to perform these tasks, so is it still possible that I don't have browse permission in that scheme?

When I click Back to project, I get a message saying: " You can't view this project. It may have been deleted or you may not have permission to view it." 
How can I not have permission to view the project when I am the one who created it?

Suggest an answer