Project email notification uses system email address

Dan Schreiber September 17, 2013

I've configured a project to use a different email address when notifications are sent by that project (according to directions at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Email+Notifications#ConfiguringEmailNotifications-emailaddress ).

However, editing the notification scheme email address seems to have no effect. No matter what it is set to, emails still come from "jira@mycompany.com" (the default set in Admin->Outgoing Email) Is something else affecting this? Is there another action I need to take before this setting is recognized?

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dan Schreiber October 9, 2013

Just to follow up on this: The problem did up being my gmail configuration. See https://support.google.com/a/answer/22370?hl=en

My default jira email account uses a google business doman alias, and you have to specficially allow a different email address to be used as an alias (and thus have the "reply-to" be recognized). So, I added my project email address in the "Send mail as" / "Add another email address" section of the above link, and it now works fine.

1 vote
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2013

The usual source of this problem is that you are expecting your mailserver to honour a change in the from: address. The Mail Server people may not be happy with you to do that without some specific request as it is a spamming vector.

Gmail will allow different from: addresses if specific two way trust email-pong has been setup first. Without this, Gmail will just rest the outbound address to the default relating to the account you are sending through.

You need to talk to your Mail Server people and ask for your JIRA server to be allowed to masquerade as other users.

But. you need to be aware of course, that users will reply to such mails, so your inbound mail handler better be up to the scalability issues of that approach if they span physical mailboxes.

1 vote
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2013
For bugs, submit a service request through support.atlassian.com
0 votes
Dan Schreiber October 1, 2013

Thanks Andy for the extra info. One thing to note is that when I send an email from the "Send Email" administration screen, and modify the "Reply to" field, it works fine. And yet setting the project notification email doesn't seem to have any effect.

So, this looks like it's a bug, which I will log with Atlassian.

0 votes
Dan Schreiber September 24, 2013

I keep getting email nags about closing this out, but it's still an issue. What's the protocol for something that just looks like a bug?

0 votes
Sam Kenny
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2013

Try setting the Project Lead.

Dan Schreiber September 17, 2013

The project lead was already set, and has a different email address than the project email address and the default outgoing email address. Another other ideas? (Thanks for chiming in though!)

Suggest an answer