Project does not exist error

Dave_Harrington May 1, 2013

Jira 5.2.3

I developed and tested a project (for use by external users) which I'd called "Sandbox Testing" with a key of SBT. Once satisfied with the behavior I created another project (CustomerX - CSTX), and set all attributes (Issue Types, Workflow, Screens, Roles, Permissions, etc) to use the same schemes other settings as the SBT project. However, I'm experiencing problems:

1) Most users can't add issues to the CSTX project. The create issue screen is available, and allows data entry, but when the "Create" button is clicked, the pop-up window just disappears and no issue is created. No error message is displayed. So far, one user (with no unique permissions) is able to create issues.

2) On the rare tickets that can be created, from the issue view or edit screen attempting to link to another issue - in another project - returns the message "Project Does Not Exist" appears, with the following detail - "The project or issue you are trying to view does not exist. Try browsing for projects. If you think this message is wrong, please contact your JIRA administrators." However, from a ticket in another project, we ARE able to link to a CSTX issue.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave_Harrington May 6, 2013

Thru a lot of experimenting and turning things off one at a time, we were able to determine the problem was due to a field that was being "managed" by the Behaviours plug-in. In the original project it was successfully hiding a non-custom field. However, when we mapped the new project to that field behaviour, it created this problem. Rather than continue wasting time on the issue, we simply disabled the functionality for this particular field.

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2013

Hi Dave,

Regarding this problem:

1) Most users can't add issues to the CSTX project. The create issue screen is available, and allows data entry, but when the "Create" button is clicked, the pop-up window just disappears and no issue is created. No error message is displayed. So far, one user (with no unique permissions) is able to create issues.

Does it occur in all browsers and all computers? If it does not occur to all browsers of computers, then we can assume it's not a problem with JIRA itself, but a problem with the environment.

Do you have any proxy in front of JIRA? In case yes, please try to bypass it.

Regarding this other problem:

2) On the rare tickets that can be created, from the issue view or edit screen attempting to link to another issue - in another project - returns the message "Project Does Not Exist" appears, with the following detail - "The project or issue you are trying to view does not exist. Try browsing for projects. If you think this message is wrong, please contact your JIRA administrators." However, from a ticket in another project, we ARE able to link to a CSTX issue.

You may check if all the permissions are right, you can use this plugin to check this: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-admin-helper-plugin

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestions....

The problem adding an issue occurs on all computers (Win7 and XP anyway), all browsers (Chrome, Mozilla, IE). However, so far there has been ONE user that can add issues (Win7, Chrome). There is nothing unique about that user...

We have the Admin Helper and I ran the permissions checker, but everything comes out that the user(s) have the proper permissions. Even the one user that can add issues, can't do the linking. And the linking problem (Project does not exist error) seems to be one-way -- only when trying to link from an issue in the new project. Linking TO an issue in the new project works (for everyone with linking permission)...

0 votes
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2013

Hi Dave

Can you please try to run integrity check to see if it helps. If it doesn't help try to enable safe mode (which would disable all third-party plugins) to determine whether this issue is cause by any third-party installed plugins or not.

Hopefully it helps!

Cheers :)

Thanks, Daryl... I ran the check and it returned about 25 entries that looked like this:

<input style="margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding: 0px;" type="checkbox" name="integrity_check_5_9" value="9" checked="checked"/> Check field layout schemes for references to deleted custom fields

ERROR: The field layout item with id 11389 has a reference to the deleted custom field with id customfield_10106. (JRA-4423)

I ran the Fix All option, but the problem still exists. I'll try the Safe Mode next, but have to choose a good time, since other folks are in the system and they may need installed plug-ins.

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2013

One thing to check is the project's roles. When new projects are created, project roles from the previous project may not be carried over.

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2013

Hmmm... Your comment that "roles from the previous project may not be carried over" makes me wonder if there was a different (better?) way for me to create this new project... Is there a way I could have "cloned" the SBT project, instead of creating a new one and manually aligning attributes with SBT?

I'll investigate the guide, Timothy... Although, since it requires a 3rd party tool, I'm a little leery. I will probably try to work thru Atlassian-supported approaches first.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer