Project and Users

Hassan Moukadem May 2, 2012

Dears,

i am in the process of evaluating Jira for my company to buy and start using, however i am a little confused, and have posted out a scenario for you to explain since the documentation explains each functionality separately.

Assuming i have Project A and Project B, Employee 1, Employee 2, Employee 3, Client 1, Client 2.

Project A

I want Employee 1, Employee 2 to be assigned to project A, and Client 1 is the only one from the clients that can see only Project A.

I also need that any update be done on the issue, all the above be notified (Employee 1, Employee 2 and Client 1) and ofcorse Client 1 cannot delete the issue, he/she can only edit his changes.

Project B

Employee 3 be assigned to project B and Client 1 which has the right to create issues can only see project B issues and not those of project A, I also need that any update be done on the issue, all the above be notified

Can you please explain how to achieve that.

i am aware that its through roles and permissions, but its confusing.

Regards,

Hasssan

2 answers

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2012

I was in the same case as you, and I achieved that exactly scheme changing configurations on my Permissions scheme. All my permissions are configured to the roles, I don't use groups neither indivual users.

So, if all my permission scheme is configured for the roles, then I only have to go to the People tab on the Project Administration Section and there I can choose what user will be in what rol in every project.

This gives you the possibility of using the same Permission Scheme on both projects without any more configuration, just indicating the role of every user in that project on particular. And the most important thing, you can have for example a user who is administrator of a project but just a developer in other project.

And I recommend to configure the Global Jira Permissions using only the groups.

Hope this helps, tell me if you need more explanation.

Hassan Moukadem May 3, 2012

Thankx Ramiro,

ill have to test it, create a 2 dummy projects, and one permission scheme that will allow (Project Lead/Developers) with all events and Clients (Users) to browese, create, edit, add comments and add attachment Only.

then in the project role ill add these clients under client role and my devlopers under Devlopers role.

would this however restrict that if i created another project with other clients , these new clients will only see or have access to the new project only ? and not the previous project?

what about notifications.

My aim in notification is that both the client and the dev/project lead get notified to all changes.

I had created a group called project 1, and added that group on all event in the notifications (created, edited, updated etc....) But for instance when i create a new issue using the client credentials, onlt the project lead is getting notified, where as i also want the client to be notified, reasons is that i consider it a confirmation to the client that his changes have reached the project lead.

Unfortunalty, its not working when i add the project 1 to all the events in the notifications.

any idea if i did something wrong or that my be a bug?

Thanks

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2012

-->would this however restrict that if i created another project with other clients , these new clients will only see or have access to the new project only ? and not the previous project?

Yes, it will restrict. A user will only be able to see the project if she/he is in the people tab of the project.

-->any idea if i did something wrong or that my be a bug?

In my point of view I wouldn't recomend to create a group of users per project, this could be recreating a lot of redundance with the users.

And when you add the notification I would recommend to add things like, notificate informer or assignee or project leader so it could be more general, or you could notificate by project rol too. I think it would be much safer and you won't need to create to much notification schemes.

In my case, I have 3 notification schemes, 'Strong' 'Mid' 'Low' the differences are the amount of events that are relevant. For example, in the low it's only for notify the 'create issue' to informer and assignee, and the 'asigned issue' to asignee, nothing else.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

As I promised, we released today this plugin: https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/com.keplerrominfo.jira.plugins.rightsdna It makes your life a lot easier.

0 votes
lrobertson39
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

Hi,

For the clients, I would add them to the user role within the Project as an individual (possibly create a group and assign the group to maintain this easily). Select the project administration > project > Project Roles

Then add the employees as developers on the project theyre assigned to to manage those tickets etc. Only one user can be the default assignee of the tickets
(unless you introduce a workflow and make it more complex) by adding them as the Project Lead and setting the default assignee for that project to be the Project Lead.

Hassan Moukadem May 2, 2012

Thank you,

i assume you mean Select the project administration > USER> Project Roles instead of Select the project administration > PROJECT> Project Roles, right?

lrobertson39
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

Either that way, or you can go to the Project Administration > People > Project Roles - bit quicker if adding multiple users to the same project role

Suggest an answer