Project administrator & permission to edit project-specific workflows etc.

Thomas Schreckenbach May 21, 2013

How can a JIRA administrator give a project administrator the permission to modify project-specific workflow(s) in his project? Or the permission to create project-specific issue types? ...

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2013

Dear Thomas,

I am afraid that this may not be possible in JIRA. Please note that the project administrator (the users which have the Administer Project permission) only have the ability to configure a project specific configuration, such as the project components/versions, project role members, project name, etc. Please see the documentation relating to the permission scheme:
- https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

On the other hand, modifying an existing workflow configuration or adding a new issue type requires at least the jira-administrators permission, which is stated in the following documentation:
- https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions

Though it's not much, I hope that the info above helps to clarify the matter.

Thanks!

Thomas Schreckenbach May 23, 2013

Dear Ahmad,

thanks for the reply.

But - this is a pity that a project admin can not edit his own project workflow ...

In our company we have no employee only to administer JIRA. Therefore, the project administrators themselves must be able to handle all project-specific work.

Regards, Thomas

Joel_E__Wilson November 7, 2014

And I know of at least one competitive product that allows this.

Like # people like this
Keegan Moore April 16, 2020

Which product? This is a huge issue for me and my organization. It's so annoying to have to go to someone else to modify my workflow.

Joel_E__Wilson April 16, 2020

JetBrains YouTrack, though I expect this answer to be removed quickly, being a competitor's product.

Like Keegan Moore likes this
1 vote
Franklin Cadre July 17, 2019

Since this ticket is 6 years old, is there any update on this issue? 

Thank you :) 

0 votes
Gaurav Mishra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2013

You can use Greenhopper simplified workflow if you use greenhopper. Project admins will be able to create status in greenhopper though with some limitations.

Suggest an answer