Project 'X' uses the key appears even if I already changed the key of Project 'X'

Sherwin Bulala August 6, 2017
  1. I changed the project 'X' key to a different one (adding 02 to the key)
  2. I re-indexed the project so that the new key will be applied to the project
  3. I created a new project 'Y' in which I will be using the key from the previously changed key from project 'x'
  4. Upon submitting the details of project 'Y', the system notifies me that the key is already used by project 'X' in which I already changed and re-indexed

Question: How do I use the key from project 'X'?

1 answer

2 votes
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2017

Hi Sherwin,

We've had to do this a couple times for various reasons. In general, it's not good to reuse an old space key (as you run into various errors like this) but it can be done with a little wrestling.

JIRA keeps track of the previous keys of issues - so if someone went to X-99, it would redirect them to the new key you set up X02-99. Because it's still keeping track of the 'old key' in the database, the check to make sure there's no in-use project with the same key when you're creating project Y fails. Otherwise JIRA would be confused trying to figure out which X-99 you actually meant. It's a little counterintuitive for you since you just moved the project key, but in general it helps users get to moved issues instead of throwing 404 errors.

What you have to do is move project X twice. That will make X02 the 'old' key for JIRA's tracking purposes and then the in-use check for X will pass. If you want to keep using X02 as the project key for that project, you can change the key to X03 and then back to X02.

Sherwin Bulala August 7, 2017

Hi @Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_ ,

Thank you for your immediate response. Here's what I did.

1. Changed the Project key from X to X02, then after I read you reply I changed it again to X03
  2. Go back to the Project Y settings and reuse the old key of project X ('X')
  3. JIRA still notifies me that it is still in use. Still No luck.
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2017

Hmm - do you have access to your database? Try this:

1. Open the PROJECT table
  2. Find the row of the 'old' project (X) and take a look at the ORIGINALKEY
  3. If the ORIGINALKEY value is still X, change it to Y

I think the above might be in play for you - try getting that cleared and try creating the new project again.

Sherwin Bulala August 11, 2017

Hi,

Unfortunately our JIRA is cloud based so I think there's no way I would be able to access that unless I ask for a JIRA support right? But I will try to ask for their support for that. If you have an alternative way for these issue of mine please I would gladly appreciate it.

Thank you @Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_

Wasif Ehsan October 11, 2017

I am having the same issue. Is the solution to this problem been found?

TRAZZINI August 29, 2018

Folks, same problem here... Any clues? Did anybody find the solution?

Suggest an answer