Project Templates - Copied Schemes + Config (Not Shared Schemes + Config)

Deleted user March 24, 2023

We want to create new projects from a template project that has a COPY of the template project schemes + configurations. We want all teams to start from the same base configs and schemes but allow them to update their project schemes and configs INDEPENDENTLY of other projects.

Currently I can see that you can share project settings / schemes at project creation, but this results in all projects SHARING the same configs - this is NOT what we want.

We want all projects to start from the same place, but be independently updated i.e. they have COPIES of the project configs + schemes, they do not SHARE them. 

How do we achieve this? We are using Jira Cloud. 

1 answer

0 votes
Michael Wohlgemuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2023

Greetings Michael,

afaik there is no way to do that "automatically".

We solved this in the past by providing "standard" schemes for all new projects, as you did already, and then provided a own scheme based on said standard (but then adjusted to the needs of the project) once they communicated that the standard does not suffice anymore.

So, lets use a issuetype scheme as example:

All projects start with the scheme "STANDARD_ISSUETYPE_SCHEME" which is configurated  in a way that should meet most needs, say it includes "Epic, Story, Task, Bug".

Once they started working with their project and time told that they need also, say, a problem issue type, the "STANDARD_ISSUETYPE_SCHEME" would be copied to be "PROJECTNAME_ISSUETYPE_SCHEME" and "Problem" would be added to the latter (by hand) before attaching it to the project.

That might be cumbersome, but it lead to a smaller amount of schemes than we otherwise would have ended up with and therefore eased administration somewhat.

This process has been born in a very old version of jira though, so today there might be different approaches that i dont know.

Or just...you know....create new projects normally and have them have their own schemes for some things at least. But that might not be the best approach, depending on the number of projects you have on your instance. A few dozens are probably manageable, but a few thousand will lead to slowed down admin performance imho.

Deleted user March 24, 2023

Thanks for the reply @Michael Wohlgemuth - much appreciated!! The key part of this is the "automatically" part of it for us! It seems like such a simple thing to be able to do! Maybe we do it manually for now (as you've suggested), but that's not a great solution for us to be honest.... Let's see if anyone else has any other useful suggestions! 

Michael Wohlgemuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2023

No problemo @[deleted] ! I know its not an elegant solution, but im afraid its the only one i know.

It is indeed a simple request you have, but im afraid that it doesnt really coexist well with the principles i've learned (from atlassian as well as experience). Namely: Schemes should be shared wherever possible. Creating a scheme for each project would never ever be considered if im an admin. But that might be, as mentioned before, because im working on large instances most of the time and i value my sanity :D

Like Deleted user likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events