Project Setup Best Practices

Kathy Tempesta February 12, 2013

I've been using JIRA for years now but recently changed jobs and inherited a bunch of existing projects that were all created as one-offs. I want to reorganize all the configs and eliminate the duplicates but what I've come to realize staring at all the scheme spaghetti is that there are quite a few ways to achieve the same end. Before I start getting everything aligned, I wanted to ask the internet how they like to do it and why.

For example, I have a bunch of custom fields defined some of which are set to specific projects and issue types. Other issue types are set to global and their behavior is defined in field configuration schemes. My instinct is to set all of them to global and fix the necessary FC schemes. What gotchas am I missing of I do that?

How do you handle a bunch (over 20) of similar but not quite the same projects? Where do you start the setup process? Where do you define what? What are your best practices?

Thanks!

-Kathy

2 answers

1 vote
Avdhesh Chauhan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2013

If you delete any filed - you need to check on - WF's (condition / validation / Post function) , then Groovy scripts if you have any and then the impact of filed on dashboards

0 votes
Kathy Tempesta April 1, 2013

trying to be a good Answers citizen!

Suggest an answer