Project/Service Desk Breakdown

Nathaniel Erlandson August 11, 2016

I guess my question touches a few areas here, but I'm really just looking for any good info on automating certain tasks or whether that makes sense to do. 

I have a Service Desk instance I'm in the early stages of setting up for our company. Within the IT dept, we have separate groups for a few different applications that are support/develop. Let's say, 4 separate groups apart from our Helpdesk Team. So in a situation like this, if we're running off JIRA Service Desk, any user submitted tickets are going to be coming into that project first and groups will be broken into separate queues so they can see their correct tickets. So Group X Queue sees only issue type X tickets, and all those pop up in their queue.

So I'm just curious how that intersects with any of our groups' projects, if at all. Since each group would have a project, I'm wondering whether it's possible to route these tickets to other projects instead of the queue, or whether that's even a better move in the long run. My thinking is, if a project is that groups ticket container, it should contain all their tickets, regardless of whether it came through service desk or not. But hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that. It just seems like with JIRA's automation capabilities, pushing tickets around the best possible way could work, but I'm not just not complete sure of what my capabilities are there, and what's better to go with. Any info is greatly appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2016

Hi Nathaniel,

In the setup you are describing, project teams have their own JIRA projects, but one single Service Desk for all teams. Is that right?

If yes, support tickets that get created in the Service Desk project, do all the tickets need to make it to the team's JIRA project? Or, someone looks at these issues and only if required, creates a linked ticket in the JIRA project?

One way to categorize issues into different queues is to use the Component field to identify which team the issue should go to within the Service Desk project. Teams can then create their own Kanban boards where they set the JQL to where Components = <Team Name>

Hope that helps. Also check out the link below. They talk about some tips you might find helpful. https://summit.atlassian.com/archives/2014/it-service-teams/rolling-out-jira-service-desk-from-2-to-22-locations

Thanks

Bhushan 

Nathaniel Erlandson August 12, 2016

Thanks a lot for the info, these boards seem to work perfectly for each group to view their respective queues.

Initially, I created specific request types for each group, partly to see if it made sense to circumvent the extra field in the ticket creation screen, making the ticket process a bit easier for our users. So initially I filtered one of the groups' boards just by their respective request type. However, now I'm thinking I may want to just add the component field so each ticket can be grabbing more info, allowing me to customize things a bit more freely.

Suggest an answer