Project Role "Developers" appears on its own. Why ?

Tanmay Sharan December 16, 2019

Project Role "Developers" appears on its own. I have not created that project role.

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jorden Van Bogaert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2019

Hi @Tanmay Sharan 

This project role is automatically created when you use Jira Software. It's created with software development teams in mind and is used in the default software permission schemes.

It exists in any Jira Software instance (except if it was deleted by the administrators).

Kind regards
Jorden

Appreciate your response @Jorden Van Bogaert 

I had actually deleted this a few weeks back. But, it came back on its own. So, was wondering.

Jorden Van Bogaert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2019

Hi @Tanmay Sharan 

Does anyone else have admin access on your Jira cloud instance?

No one else, other than me.

Jorden Van Bogaert
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2019

Hi @Tanmay Sharan 

Mm, I don't have an immediate response then. It may have been recreated because of an add-on that needs it, or because of an inconsistency on Atlassian's end, but it's hard to say for sure.

I don't think Atlassian automatically restores this role for any reason, so I think you can safely remove it again. If it were to appear once more, maybe create a ticket with Atlassian to see if they can help find out why it returns.

Kind regards
Jorden

Like Tanmay Sharan likes this

Appreciate your response @Jorden Van Bogaert . Will remove it for now, and log a ticket if it re-appears. Thanks again !!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2019

Hello @Tanmay Sharan ,

As mentioned by @Jorden Van Bogaert , the system has some default groups, system administrator can maintain this part of the information in System ---> Project Role Browser.

Project roles are somewhat similar to groups, the main difference being that group membership is global whereas project role membership is project-specific. Additionally, group membership can only be altered by Jira administrators, whereas project role membership can be altered by project administrators.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/managing-project-roles-776636382.html

Appreciate your response @Ollie Guan . As mentioned in my reply to @Jorden Van Bogaert , I was surprised as it came back after I had deleted it a few weeks back.

Suggest an answer