Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Project Name Change: Best Practices?

Hi,

I've had a request to change the name of a Jira project. 

Seems simple enough but is there any possible issues that would generate? There are associated issues with the project so I'm worried about the key. Should that stay the same? 

Thanks!

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Changing the Project Name does not automatically affect the Project Key. You can change the name without changing the Key.

I generally advise against changing the Key unless there is a truly compelling reason to change it. If you do change the key you should note that the original key cannot be re-used for a different project. 

Yep, super glad I didn't have to change the key. 

Thanks Trudy

1 vote
Answer accepted

No, you won't hit problems, unless you have configured something that looks up the project by name (which is generally a bad idea, the key is a better way to do it, or ideally the project ID, as that can't change)

The project's name is a simple attribute, stored when you create the project, and looked up by any code that wants to display it.  If you edit it, the code that wants to display it will re-read it when it needs it.  Nothing else really uses it.

Good deal. Yeah, was lucky enough to be able to retain the project key so that made life easier. 

Thanks Nic!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events