Project Leads Changing On Their Own

Bob Gruett April 8, 2015

I've observed an intermittent problem for a while now that I can't explain, and I could use some help in getting to the bottom of it.

We run an internal IT help desk, and we have a dedicated project set up in JIRA for the tracking of all tickets.  As we have several IT team members, we routinely change the project lead from one person to another as a sort of on-call rotation.  Most of the time the change works exactly as expected, and the new team lead receives all new tickets until we change the team lead again.

However, on numerous occasions I've discovered that after changing the team lead from one person to another, the change will inexplicably revert itself.  So if I change the team lead from BOB to JOE, there's a chance that several hours later BOB will start getting tickets again, and if we check the team leads we discover that BOB is again the team lead.

This has happened enough that I've gotten into the habit of verifying the team lead change after the modification is applied, just to rule out the possibility that I'm not thinking when I reassign on-call.  Every time I've checked everything looks good (I've even recorded the change more than once as a verification of the change).

The good news is that most of the time the change sticks.  I've also determined that when the change reverts it always reverts to the previous on-call person (in other words, if I'm moving from BOB to JOE and this problem shows up, BOB is the person who gets put on call...likewise, if I'm moving from JOE to BOB and the problem shows up, JOE is the person who gets put on call).  So there's a definite pattern.

Having said all that, here are my questions:

• Are there any circumstances under which JIRA might be expected to change a team lead on its own?
  • Are there any logs that JIRA maintains that might tell me (A) when such a change took place and (B) who made said change?

On a final note, I do see there there are audit settings which I can enable (currently they are disabled), but I have so far held off on turning these on due to my cautious nature and not wanting to introduce any sort of performance issues.

So any thoughts?  I'd appreciate any suggestions or questions you have to offer.

Thanks,
Bob

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2015

Instinctively....

• No, JIRA does not change team lead on its own.  It needs a human to do it
  • (That said... Scripting and plugins can, of course, be written to do this, although they'll still need to run as an admin account)
  • JIRA doesn't normally log this stuff.  However, I think the admin audit log does capture project lead changes, so I would enable that and go check it the next time you notice it change.  (Can't remember the exact menu link, but Admin -> search should find it if you type audit into the search box)

0 votes
Bob Gruett April 8, 2015

Thanks for the info.  I have enabled auditing and verified that it catches team lead changes.  I will go back into the log the next time I see an unexpected recurrence of this problem.

-Bob

Suggest an answer