Project Lead - Managing components

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2013

Hi

I would like "project lead" have the capability to manage components(add,edit,delete) for the project to which they are assigned as lead.

I created a user and assigned that user as project lead.

a) I do not see any admin link for the user. Does assigning user as project lead does not give them admin rights on the project.

When I click on projects->ProjectA I can see "Summay", "Issues", "Components", "Popular Issues", "Labels". When I click on components I just see read only view of components.

How can I have Project lead manage components in the project? Please let me know.

Thanks

Abe

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
CL August 30, 2013

You need to give Administer projects permission to the user. By default the project role "Administrators" have that permission, so you might assign that user to this project role "Administrators". If you have modified permission scheme you must check which user / project role has the administration right.

Assigning a user as project lead does not include any administration rights.

Clemens

2 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2013

you have to give Administer Projects permission to that user

check this document to manage project permission

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

and check this document to know how to add component

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Component

1 vote
Thomas Talinski June 4, 2014

But what is the project lead than supposed to lead / do??

0 votes
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2015

The project lead role is just there so that user can get tickets auto-assigned. For example, you might use the project lead as the default assignee for all new issues, with the exception of issues which use a certain component (which get assigned to the Component Lead instead).

Also see here https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/78867

Zoey Wang April 14, 2022

Hi David, 

Thanks for the explaination for the project lead vs component lead. However, what if an issue with two components: 1) component DEV -default assignee is component lead 2) component CUST - default assignee is project lead. 

Though being tested, the scenario showed that on the component level, the project role is superior to the component lead?  I was not able to find further info from Atlassian to prove that. 

Thanks

Z

Suggest an answer