Project Import on live instance without downtime

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

During project import on jira, the instance is still accessible by users. I would however like to know the impact of performing multiple project imports lasting over 3 hours on a live production instance without a downtime.

Is it advisable to allow live users to work on jira and perform project import in the background.

Note: The project import has been successfully tested on test instance.

Rahul

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2013

The docs says

Note, the Project Import tool will lock out your instance of JIRA during the actual data import (not during the validations), so please ensure that your instance does not need to be accessible during this time.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup

1 vote
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2013

In my opinion, I still woudn't recommend the project import process to be run where the live instance is still running. I have no solid proof nor any facts to point out in this, but personally I feel that when something is running constantly, somehow there is still other process running it together, chances that there might be some unintentional interruption going on the background of JIRA.

Maybe we cannot really see what is abnormality for now. There could be some functionaility issue that we can't predict in the future. Perhaps it would take more than 3 hour downtime to troubleshoot and look into it.

Generally, I would said that it is not worth saving that 3 hours downtime and taking a potentially huge risk into it. Alternatively, you can always do the project import process during the weekends and when the traffic of utilization in JIRA is low. But better to be safe than be sorry.

Well, that is just based on my personal view and opinion.

Cheers

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

Thanks Daryl for your comments.

I am still open to comments from anyone else..

Rahul

Suggest an answer