Project Import not finding the attachments

Chuck Barlage October 29, 2012

I have two installations of jira 4.4.4. When importing the project from one installation to another, the log is showing an error when importing the attachments.

It looks like older attachments were in a directory like:

'e:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA444\import\attachments\VOR\VOR-2133\10202_screenshot-1.jpg

And later attachments are located like this:

'e:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA444\import\attachments\VOR\VOR-2134\10724

It seems that at some point the source envirnment was upgraded and the later release is storing the attachment in a file named as the issue ID. This file has no extension.

If that's the case, is there a way to convert the older attachments to the new structure in some way so that I can import this?

Or is there another way to import this mixture of attachments?

Thanks!

attachments for newer issues look like this.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chuck Barlage November 4, 2012

After a restart of the jira service, the attachments are now connected to the correct issues. In fact, both the old method and the new method of storing attachments were successfully processed during the import. The real issue it seems is that the pre-import validation step (and the log) incorrectly reported that all the attachments (old and new method) would not be imported.

Asha Ganesh November 7, 2018

hi chuck ,

Pls help me to know oly restart of service made d attachments available or did u install any plugin along with the restart ??

Kindly help i am stuck with the same issue 

0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2012

Hi CBarlage,

We can't see the attachment, could you copy and paste the error here?

Thank you.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2012

DId you physically copy over the attachments? If not, I would try that first with one or two attachments and see if things work or not.

Here's a section of the log:

2012-10-26 15:59:21,532 JiraTaskExectionThread-61 WARN CBarlage 959x42546x1 1h7zh7m 172.16.117.89 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSelectProject.jspa [imports.project.handler.AttachmentFileValidatorHandler] The attachment 'screenshot-1.jpg' does not exist at 'e:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA444\import\attachments\VOR\VOR-2134\10732'. It will not be imported.

And yes, I do have the attachments in the import directory under a folder matching each project key.

Chuck Barlage November 4, 2012

I have run the import in the sandbox environment and have seen a few of the attachments be properly linked to the correct issues. However, most are NOT available, so I opened a support issue with Atlassan. Once this is resolved, I will update this question with the answer.

Moriah Chandler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2013

My import just stops because of these errors... any one know a way around that?

Suggest an answer