Project Import can happen b/w two different jira versions?

Suresh February 18, 2013

Hi All,

I have taken jira backup form jira v4.0 and i would like to import in to the new jira v 5.1.8.Is it poosible?

I we need how we could import?

Project import tool can import all the configurations i mean users,permissions... etc all related setting?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2013

The target JIRA instance should be exactly same as the source JIRA version in order to import project.

Though some of the configuration needs to be present already at the target JIRA instance, like assignee,reporter, project lead,etc. The project import tool will create the missing users (if any) associated to that project.

Go through Project Import Documentation for better understanding.

EDIT: If I am not wrong, this question doesn't belongs to jira development tag.

Hope it helps!

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2013

@Naren is correct - the versions of the two Jiras need to be the same for project import to work. The solution - get a copy of "standalone" on the *target* version, with a development licence and import the whole xml into that as a system restore. Export from there and you'll be able to import the project from that export file

Also, project import *only* imports issues. No config.

Anna Gunich May 15, 2013

Hi Nic,

I am reading your post and I am afraid I am missing how to work around the problem of different versions of source and target Jira`s?.. can you please explain in more details? thanks in advance!

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2013

Hey Anna.

just check wich version of jira you are running currently and you wish to export to a different host.

dowload exactly this version from here > http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/download-archives

go to my.atlassian.com and generate a developers license from your purchased products (Jira)

install the recently downloaded jira on the new host and use the developers license for this instance.

finish the installation process and leave it like it is...

in your current jira go to adminsitration/system/import & export and perform a full backup.

you will then copy the generated zip file to the new host where you point on it in "administration/system/import & export"

choose what you wanna do...projects import only or full restore....it will do the job

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Backing+Up+Data

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+Data

Anna Gunich May 15, 2013

Hi C. Faysal,

As a result I will get a copy of my Jira running on the 'old' Jira version. My aim is to have the most recent Jira version in the new environment. Do you mean that then I can upgrade the 'copied' Jira to the latest Jira version?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2013

yes of course you can update the copied versions to the most recent..

the only thing that would block this possibility is that your license ran out of maintenance period which will let you keep on using jira but you'd be unable to get supports or updates...so if your license isn't older than 1 year...you should be able to upgrade

right now i am wondering about the topic...

you could have called it "updating jira from Version XYZ to the most recent"

edit: OOPS different reporter...sorry

in that case i am pretty sure suggestions would be similar.

run this proceedure in a testing environment before..

use the same (old) version on the testing host...import and restore data from the current system...

once your test system is a cloner proceed with the update to the recent jira version there...if everything runs smoothly w/o any errors...go for it...

but as it often happens several tests work fine...when it comes to the prodictive system it will fail....haha i used to have this one time..

if it will fail...don't worry. you have the full backup and you can restore everything from this file (containing all changes that have been done before the backup job)

but it is of course a good thing to test things out befor you touch the real system.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2013

you're welcome

Anna Gunich May 15, 2013

Hi C. Faysal,

Thanks for your quick replies! That`s clear now ;)

Suggest an answer