Project Import - Attachments do not exist in the attachment directory

Marvin March 2, 2013

While trying to import two projects from one JIRA 5.2.7. installation to another JIRA 5.2.7. installation (physically apart), the pre-import log shows me this:

Attachments

There are more than twenty attachment entries that do not exist in the attachment directory. See your logs for full details.

After viewing the log it seems that the import cannot find the attachments specified, because Project Import points to a subfolder within the project attachment folder. The subfolder is always a 5 digit number (ie. /PANA/PAN-1190/50300, where PAN-1190 is the issue). Besides this, it looks like JIRA has a new way with storing it's attachments, because all the new folder has FILE-files within them. The name of the FILE-file is a 5 digit number as well (not the same as the subfolder number), in stead of 'name.jpg', 'name.docx', 'name.pdf' files. There is not one attachment successfully imported into the installation.

What is the best way to successfully import the attachments into the project with the Project Import functionality? The urgence is critical.

Below are two rows from the log as an example:

2013-03-03 11:22:30,943 JiraTaskExectionThread-6 WARN user 682x290x1 14ckgrx 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary!reMapAndValidate.jspa [imports.project.handler.AttachmentFileValidatorHandler] The attachment 'Rapport Gebruikers.xlsx' does not exist at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\import\attachments\PANA\PANA-1205\50341'. It will not be imported.

1. As an example: the 'Rapport Gebruikers.xlsx' file does not exist in the specified folder, only a '48371.file' file.

2. The '\50341' subfolder does not physically exist in the PAN-1205 folder.

2013-03-03 11:22:30,943 JiraTaskExectionThread-6 WARN user 682x290x1 14ckgrx 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary!reMapAndValidate.jspa [imports.project.handler.AttachmentFileValidatorHandler] The attachment 'screenshot-1.jpg' does not exist at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\import\attachments\PANA\PANA-1195\50342'. It will not be imported.

1. Same as above

4 answers

1 vote
pschaff01
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2014

Hi Marvin,

Could you confirm if the JIRA user has all the necessary read/write permissions on the folder data/attachments folder and in the import/attachments folder?

Also, if you are performing a project import, you will have to copy the project attachment folder to "/import/attachments" as well.

Regards,

Pietro

1 vote
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2013

Hi!

When trying to import the project to a different instance, have you copy the Attachments for the instance into the $Target_JIRA_HOME/import/attachments folder before proceed with the import ? Otherwise, the attachment will not be imported together with the issues.

So, for example in the Source JIRA, there is a project with key "PANA". Then, copy the $Source_JIRA_HOME/data/attachments/PANA into the $Target_JIRA_HOME/import/attachments before proceeding with the project import.

0 votes
Shameem Taj May 25, 2016

i am having same issue....i have imported from a windows server to test system & everything was great ...

But i tried the same with Production & i am getting this message...what needs to be done?

0 votes
Maarten de Cock March 23, 2014

I have the same problem!

I have copied the attachments to $Target_JIRA_HOME/import/attachments but still it says that it can't find the attachements. Map structure looks the same as in the log error: $Target_JIRA_HOMEimport\attachments\PANA\PANA-1195\50342

I have also tried to put the attachements in my attachment path Default Directory [$Target_JIRA_HOME/data/jira/data/data/attachments] and $Target_JIRA_HOME/data/attachements

The jira user on my linux system has read/write acces to all files in the $Target_JIRA_HOME

I don't know what I am doing wrong. Do you have some solutions?

Suggest an answer