Project Groups administration and limitations.

SIZWE_MKHIZE March 25, 2016

Good evening.

Im facing a challenge here. I will soon be responsible for a project and I want to use JIRA for its tracking, administration, task tracking etc etc. But I also would like to for the customer to have access to that project. But only that one project. The "customer" will have a team of more than 5 and less than 10 and would like to create a group for that whole team to be able to view the progress of that project.

Therefore I want the external team to able to:

1. View the progress of the project.
  2. Be restricted to only the project. I will have other projects in JIRA but I dont want them to be able to view the other projects.
  3. I am liking Confluence very much and have already started using the add on for official communication to my internal teams. And I would like to extend the communication to the client teams as well.
  4. I would like to allow HipChat for the client teams for easy communication with them.

If I can know how to do this, it would really go a long way for me to learn Jira. I've just started using this tool, only 2 weeks now and there is a lot to learn. I would really appreciate your assistance.

Thank you.

Regards,

Sizwe

1 answer

0 votes
Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2016

hi,

every project has their own permission scheme. you can create a group that includes the customer, modify the permissions and make that only project available to the customer group.

Selection_009.png

you can use JIRA groups or create a group and invite customer to use confluence, too.

also you can integrate HipChat with JIRA, you can find the instructions here: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/configuring-jira-with-hipchat-296093745.html

SIZWE_MKHIZE March 25, 2016

Good morning.

Thank you for your response. I think I understand the concept but I just dont know how to implement it from scratch. Like I mentioned that I very new to the tool this any administration duties are still very new to me.

I would appreciate a more detailed procedure on how to do this task. Thank you.

Regards,

Sizwe

Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2016

hi,

first of all you need to create a group for your customer and add all of them to this group. click on user management:

Selection_015.png

here create your users, create your group, and add them to your new group from group section.

after that you need to create a new permission scheme for your project. you can find the instructions here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/crucible/creating-a-permission-scheme-298977513.html

Selection_014.png

after you create a new project, you need to associate that project with your permission scheme. you can find the instructions here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/crucible/associating-a-permission-scheme-with-a-project-298977514.html

go to your project:

Selection_010.png

click on your project and then click on administration:

Selection_011.png

then click on permission scheme:

Selection_012.png

then click on actions and use a different scheme

Selection_013.png

here choose the permission scheme you created for this project.

you need to make sure that all other projects' permission schemes do not include this group you created for your customer.

thomas alisi June 22, 2016

hi,

I'm trying to do the same, but it's not entirely clear to me how the group is associated to a permission scheme. in @Elifcan Cakmak there's a clear step by step guide to 

• create a group
  • create a permission scheme
  • associate the permission scheme to the project

but when creating a permission scheme I need to go through each item and assign to the group I've created. is this the right way to assign permissions to a group? also, would it be possible to bulk assign permissions from a scheme to a group instead of going through each element in the list?

thanks!

Suggest an answer