Project CSV import

KingsTransport September 26, 2017

I'm seeing multiple answers for importing Projects to JIRA. We have a new instance of JIRA cloud and would like to transfer all our project data (tasks, issues etc... will come later) into JIRA. I've seen posts that say you can only import project data to a server instance, is this the case? Am I wasting my time by trying to import initial project data via CSV? I understand that once a project is created in JIRA maually, it can be imported or restored, but the CSV or XML file must come from a JIRA export or backup first, correct?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 28, 2017

Hi, Dale,

That is correct. Project Import is not possible in Jira Cloud, but we have a documented workaround: How to import a project from a Jira Server application to a Jira Cloud application

You're not wasting your time by importing project data via CSV, but understand that it will not include any history:

Alternatively, if the history of the Issue is not required, you might consider the option to Importing Data from CSV as guided in How to prepare a database export for a CSV Import from a JIRA Server application to a JIRA Cloud application. Attachments import can require several manual modifications to the CSV file.

The CSV/XML doesn't necessarily have to come from Jira if this is what you're asking. As long as it matches the required format, it should work. See Importing data from CSV. If I misunderstood you, please let me know.

However, the best way to accomplish this and include all previous data would be to perform the merge outlined int he first article I sent you.

Let us know if you have any questions about this.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer