Product backlog vs sprint backlog

Sean Hetherington October 6, 2016

I have a very small team, 3-4 people, and we're using JIRA and Confluence. We're on the road to using SCRUM with the sprint backlog and are trying to keep it groomed. The problem is the backlog fills with many feature requests, bugs improvements that simply won't be fixed in the near future or ever. Is there a difference between the product backlog and the spring backlog? 

My question is what recommendations are there to determine what goes in the backlog and where do the other items go for evaluation before they go on the backlog? I've created a page in Confluence called product requirements that was meant to be a place to hold new features for discussion. Where everyone can collaborate on each feature and modify it until it's mostly worked out. 

Any recommendations would be helpful.

2 answers

0 votes
George Mogilevsky October 14, 2018

Consider using a separate project (kanban) for managing product backlog

0 votes
Peter Geshev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2016

Hi Sean,

Everything goes in the backlog. Periodically you prioritize it and before each sprint begins you add the stories which you plan to implement/work on during the sprint in the sprint backlog and start the sprint.

Regards,

Peter

Suggest an answer