Product backlog and sprint backlog

Cristi August 22, 2016

Is it possible to have on JIRA a product backlog for a project and then for each sprint create the sprint backlog based on that product backlog? I'm a bit lost on the scrum board and I can't figure out how to set this up. 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Kelley Cooper August 22, 2016

Correct.

Just always remember that the items displayed on your Scrum board are determined by the board's associated filter.  The issues in the filter can be displayed on the Backlog tab or dragged and displayed in a Sprint...they can't be in both.

An issue will only be visible in the Backlog if:

• the issue is not a Sub-Task,
  • the issue matches the board's Saved Filter (see Configuring Filters),
  • the issue's status maps to one of the board's columns (but not the 'Done' column), and
  • there is at least a status being mapped to the right most column.  Eg. If you have the columns To Do, In Progress and Done, ensure that you have a status mapped to In Progress at least. If you map all the statuses to the first column (To Do), you will not be able to see any issues in the Backlog.
Cristi August 22, 2016

In the meantime I also found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrHpXvDXVrw 

It highlighted what I couldn't really find at about 15:40. I'll leave it here in case other people end up on this page, it is really helpful. 

Guillermo Diaz May 28, 2017

Man, what a great answer!. That was exactly what I was looking for!.

Thank you :)

0 votes
Kelley Cooper August 22, 2016

I believe the answer to your question can be found on the Using a Backlog page in the JIRA Agile documentation.  You just drag the items from your backlog into the Sprint and go from there.

Cristi August 22, 2016

I was under the impression that I understood how it worked untill I went on a scrum board and got a bit lost. I'll look around some more.

So that should basically end up in having one product backlog and one (eventually more than one) sprint backlog that the entire team should be able to access?

Like Kevin Jennesson likes this
Fahad Waheed Khan November 19, 2019

Hi,

Basically the Backlog which you will see in your scrum board right now will serve as a Product Backlog. It can be prioritized at the time of backlog refining meeting and list will be prepared which will move to next sprint backlog.

Once you create any sprint then there will be a new list of stories or tickets will be formed which have sub-tickets etc, this in new sprint list will serve as a Sprint Backlog which will not be changed once the sprint is started.

Like # people like this
Harald Koglauer April 26, 2020

Thanks Mr. Fahad - great explanation - simple and to the point.

Suggest an answer