Product backlog and sprint backlog

Is it possible to have on JIRA a product backlog for a project and then for each sprint create the sprint backlog based on that product backlog? I'm a bit lost on the scrum board and I can't figure out how to set this up. 

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Correct.

Just always remember that the items displayed on your Scrum board are determined by the board's associated filter.  The issues in the filter can be displayed on the Backlog tab or dragged and displayed in a Sprint...they can't be in both.

An issue will only be visible in the Backlog if:

• the issue is not a Sub-Task,
  • the issue matches the board's Saved Filter (see Configuring Filters),
  • the issue's status maps to one of the board's columns (but not the 'Done' column), and
  • there is at least a status being mapped to the right most column.  Eg. If you have the columns To Do, In Progress and Done, ensure that you have a status mapped to In Progress at least. If you map all the statuses to the first column (To Do), you will not be able to see any issues in the Backlog.

In the meantime I also found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrHpXvDXVrw 

It highlighted what I couldn't really find at about 15:40. I'll leave it here in case other people end up on this page, it is really helpful. 

Man, what a great answer!. That was exactly what I was looking for!.

Thank you :)

This widget could not be displayed.

I believe the answer to your question can be found on the Using a Backlog page in the JIRA Agile documentation.  You just drag the items from your backlog into the Sprint and go from there.

I was under the impression that I understood how it worked untill I went on a scrum board and got a bit lost. I'll look around some more.

So that should basically end up in having one product backlog and one (eventually more than one) sprint backlog that the entire team should be able to access?

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

255 views 5 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you