Product Management Feature Requests to Dev in Jira

Sherri Netherby-Cox April 13, 2016

Hi Folks,

I am wondering if any of you have any thoughts on how this is best done?   I have been tasked with my company's move to JIRA and Confluence.  In Confluence, I am going by business unit then to teams then to projects as a way of organizing things so that they make sense.  I am doing my best to mirror that in JIRA by adding simple prefixes to things.  I really want to bring feature requests from product management into Jira.  I am not sure what makes the most sense though - should I...

1.  Make PM their own BU and consider each PM a team and requests then would be by project?  There are lots of pros and cons to this  - it would be easier to report on (assuming originals stay in the project) but what would be the cleanest way to get those out to the dev teams?  Cloning?  something else I am not seeing?
  2. Consider PM as a team within the existing BUs.  Create a project called Feature Requests?  Just categorize Feature Requests as the JIRA type - then report off that in a dashboard?  The latter is what I would like to do, but Dev doesn't want Product Management "trolling through their JIRAs" (yes thats a quote from a Dev Mgr).

I am running out of ways to solve this that work for everyone.  Any suggestions are deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2016

I don't really understand the issue I suppose.

Either make a "tracker" project just for getting feedback or create a "suggestion" or "new feature" issue type that is a report, not a development item. The Developer Manager can usually be calmed down by letting him know that developers should only work on Stories/Bugs, and that "New Features" are suggestion reports only.

Adding more projects will be more complicated just by the very nature of adding more and more to JIRA.

Suggest an answer