Problems with application links and external url

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2012

Hi,

I have my 2jira instances in an environment that has no direct internet connectivity. Currently, I have this setup:

internal tomcat --> dmz apache proxy -- note : both instances are using same apache proxy...

external tomcat --> dmz apache proxy

We also have an externally facing VIP which is forwarding all 80/443 traffic to the proxy (foobar.example.com).

The dmz proxy is set up to use the external URL (foobar.example.com) as the server name.

On the tomcats, the servername from the external VIP is used as the proxyName.

So basically --- the tomcats can see the proxybox, but the tomcats can not see the external vip.

When everything is up, I can hit foobar.example.com/jira1 and foobar.example.com/jira2 --- functionality seems great.

However, when I try to set up application links, the 2 tomcats (which are on different boxes), can't see eachother because they are not resolving the foobar.example.com external ip.

So -- what can I do here? I was hoping I could do something like use the ajp connector, port 8009, between the 2 tomcats unsecurely (since both are behind firewall).

I basically need to keep the external VIP, and also support trusted application links between my 2 jira instances.

Any tips much appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2012

To fix this, I ended up adding an entry to the /etc/hosts file on both tomcat boxes, so that the externally facing ip *name* resolved to the proxy's internal IP.

Suggest an answer