Problems with Jira Text-Search

Ulrich Kaemmerer December 8, 2020

I'm trying to find issues ( under issues->search for issues ) containing the text "Spaltendefinition".

When I execute this query : text ~"Spaltend" I get no result.

When I execute this query : text ~"Spaltendef" I get 2 results.

When I execute this query : text ~"Spaltendefi" I get 1 result

When I execute this query : text ~"Spaltendefinit" I get 37 results.

As far as I understand "~" means contains ( or is similar to the regex "~" case insensitive )
How can I get this results ? 

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2020

This might help explain the features Jira Server offers when searching text fields: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/search-syntax-for-text-fields-939938747.html

Ulrich Kaemmerer December 9, 2020

I raised my question because I read the documentation.

"~" means substring(case insensitive) 
Therefore I expect that the search: 'text ~ ''New"' always returns more or equal to results than the search: 'text ~ ''New York"', or not ?
This is what I wrote in my question

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2020

Perhaps your original post results are due to Word Stemming? I don't know German, but my brief research suggests that as a possibility.

Might be worth experimenting with that setting in Jira (warning: it's a global setting).

Word Stemming is detailed near the end of the page I linked above.

Ulrich Kaemmerer December 9, 2020

Hi Mykenna,

this might be an issue.
I thought the "~" is a real substring()-search but it seams it is not.
I will ask the administrator regarding the stemming settings and I will add the outcome here.

Suggest an answer