Problems installing jira on linux

Robert L Shipman Jr February 27, 2013

I have installed jira and configured it for postgreSQL (this is a clean install). But as soon as open the page in the browser, I get the following message,

The Gadget Dashboard bundled plugin is not available. To ensure the Gadget Dashboard plugin is enabled, please contact your JIRA administrators.

Thank you in advance

Bob

2 answers

1 vote
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2013

Hi Bob,

Could you confirm if the JIRA user for postgres was created with all the needed permissions? You may use the following command (on CLI) for creating it:

createuser -S -d -r -P -E jirauser

Nevertheless it's also good to check if the syste user which is running JIRA has all the proper permissions to write on the $JIRA_HOME.

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Lucas,

I created a user as you said above, but still the same message. The system user is root, so I expect that it has permissions required.

Thanks Bob

0 votes
Immanuel Siagian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2013

Hi Bob,

There has been past cases which has similar exception as yours. It was due to the limited memory resource on the machine that his running JIRA or (if you're on windows server) an anti virus is preventing JIRA to extract some of the system plugins. You may try to increase the physical memory on the server if it's feasible.

Also, by any chance that you are deploying JIRA on Amazon EC2?

Cheers,

Immanuel

Immanuel,

I am deploying JIRA on a Turnkey LAPP Debian based sandalone system. The system has 1 Gig of ram. I currently have JIRA deployed on my windows based workstation but am trying to move it over to the headless LAPP.

Thanks

Bob

Immanuel Siagian
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2013

Hey Bob,

1 GB of physical RAM may not be enough since JIRA itself allocates 768MB. Nevertheless, you may also want to remove the .osgi-plugins directory from the JIRA-HOME/plugins directory and also increase the plugins timeout. This known issue is described on the following article:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+System+Plugin+Timeout+While+Waiting+for+Plugins+to+Enable

Hope this has been helpful. If there is any clarification needed, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Cheers,

Suggest an answer