Problems importing CSV file

Sofia Grunspan January 27, 2021

When I work in a CSV file in excel and I save it in that format (CSV)

then I want to import it to Jira and it seems "," delimiter changes to ";"

Why is this happening? and how can fix it?

1.JPG

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2021

Hi @Sofia Grunspan ,

on the first step's screen there's the Advanced section - if you click on it, you will get the possibility to set CSV Delimiter.

import.png

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2021

As for the other question - one of the main reasons, why I stopped using Excel, is, the work with csv files became very complicated and I wasn't able to achieve, what I needed, in the later versions, because some functionalities were missing / very well hidden :-).

So I think what is happening is Excel just saves your file without asking about the format and use something default...

You can always check the format of your csv file using simple text editor as Notepad before the import.

Sofia Grunspan January 28, 2021

Hi @Hana Kučerová ! Thanks for your answer. If I change the CSV delimiter "," to ";" it seems to work fine, but Does affect the import process in someway? or is it indistinct? 

I use Excel when I need to edit the file but I will try to find another way.

Thanks once more

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2021

Hi @Sofia Grunspan ,

in general there is no difference between delimiters, you can use whichever delimiter you want.

If you for example import some text fields and the delimiter is also used in the texts, there can be parsing problems, but these situations could be handled by using quotes to mark the whole text...

Like Sofia Grunspan likes this
Sofia Grunspan January 28, 2021

Thanks a lot! it helps me a lot! :)

Suggest an answer