Problem with users and components / JIRA Cloud version

Ivan Peralta June 9, 2016

Hi,

Background:

We have a cloud installation with 25 users and 5 projects, working without issues

Issues:

Issue 1 path:

• We created a user yesterday let say "A"
  • We created a new project "pA" and user "A" is assigned as project administrator
  • User "A" signed up and created some componentes in project "pA"
  • The user "A" is unable to find other users in "Component Lead" field

Issue 2 path:

• We signed up with user "Z" administrator of the JIRA cloud system
  • The user "Z" is able to find other users in "Component Lead" field
  • But for some users we received the next message:
    • The user "A" appear in the user picker, but when press save the system display "The user A does not exists"
    • That's something not happening just for the new "A" user, for some of the legacy users is also happening. The user "Y" appear in the user picker, you are able to select it, but when press save the system display "The user Y does not exists"

Any suggestions?

I proved to re-index the project, re-index at JIRA Administration ... but without changes.

2 answers

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2016

Issue 1 is happening because the new user doesn't have "Browse Users" global permission. Give that permission and userA can pick other users.

Not sure about issue 2. If you are able to pick a user, it should be a valid user. The user might not have assignable permissions and such, which could be a problem, but it will be a different error in that case.

0 votes
Ivan Peralta June 9, 2016

Thanks for your feedback Jobin, you help me identify whats happening.

You were right, the new user has not "Browser Users" permission.

The other think I identified is the "Component Lead" fails when I picked up a non adminitrator user. 

Could that make sense? It seams agains another permission

------------------------------------------------

I added that users to the "Administer Project" permission for the project but still the same problem

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2016

What exactly is the error in the second case? Maybe you can add a screenshot?

Ivan Peralta June 10, 2016

Sure, (I didn't uploaded yesterday because account limitations)

Please find attached.

Captura de pantalla 2016-06-09 a las 16.26.02.pngCaptura de pantalla 2016-06-09 a las 16.26.08.png

Best,

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2016

Hmm, I am not sure of this one. Does that user actually exist in JIRA? If so, does he have permissions in the project?

Ivan Peralta June 12, 2016

Yes, take a look to the next screenshots, both 'permissions' and user roles

Captura de pantalla 2016-06-13 a las 10.59.37.pngCaptura de pantalla 2016-06-13 a las 11.00.26.png

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2016

I would raise a ticket with Atlassian. Difficult to know without having access to instance and logs.

Jeff Cheeney June 14, 2016

I have the exact same issue - did you file a ticket? If so, I would like to add my name to the watchers

Ivan Peralta June 14, 2016

Not yet Jeff, honestly I didn't find the way ... it was very hard to find the project to create that issue... Did you created one?

Jeff Cheeney June 14, 2016

I created a support ticket and it appears there is a known bug with a workaround of using curl.

Ivan Peralta June 14, 2016

Thank you very much Jeff!! Really appreciate it!

Marco Jacobs January 24, 2017

Dear all,

We still work with an older version 7.2.1 where this issue still exists. I heard it is fixed in 7.2.6.

There are 2 workarounds now,

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Method 1

The easiest is to run the following code in the Browser ( F12 ) in the console.( press ctrl-enter)The <component-id> can be found in the JIRA browser sceen with Inspect (data-component-id value)

$.ajax({ url: 'https://jira.nl.eu.abnamro.com/rest/api/2/component/<component-id>', type: 'PUT', contentType: "application/json", data: JSON.stringify({"leadUserName":"YourUserName"}), success: function(data) { console.log(data); } }); 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Method 2:

CURL command on the Unix command line  :

curl -k -D- -u "YourUsername:YourPassword" -X PUT --data "{\"leadUserName\": \"YourUsername\"}" -H "Content-Type: application/json" --url https://<instance>/rest/api/2/component/<componentid>

good luck ...Marco and Reinier

Suggest an answer