Problem with re-index - 2 errors

Martin Green July 29, 2014

Hi

After upgrading Jira Agile plugin to version 6.4.3 i wanted to re-index. Normally I don't have problems with it, but now it fails with two errors.

It says:

com.atlassian.jira.index.IndexingFailureException: Indexing completed with 2 errors
	at com.atlassian.jira.index.AccumulatingResultBuilder$CompositeResult.await(AccumulatingResultBuilder.java:147)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.DefaultIndexManager.doIndexIssuesInBatchMode(DefaultIndexManager.java:877)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.DefaultIndexManager.doStopTheWorldReindex(DefaultIndexManager.java:844)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.DefaultIndexManager.reIndexAll(DefaultIndexManager.java:307)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.DefaultIndexManager.reIndexAll(DefaultIndexManager.java:272)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.DefaultIndexManager.reIndexAll(DefaultIndexManager.java:267)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at com.atlassian.util.profiling.object.ObjectProfiler.profiledInvoke(ObjectProfiler.java:83)
	at com.atlassian.jira.config.component.SwitchingInvocationHandler.invoke(SwitchingInvocationHandler.java:28)
	at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy151.reIndexAll(Unknown Source)
	at com.atlassian.jira.util.index.CompositeIndexLifecycleManager.reIndexAll(CompositeIndexLifecycleManager.java:56)
	at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.admin.index.ReIndexAsyncIndexerCommand.doReindex(ReIndexAsyncIndexerCommand.java:28)
	at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.admin.index.AbstractAsyncIndexerCommand.call(AbstractAsyncIndexerCommand.java:54)
	at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.admin.index.ReIndexAsyncIndexerCommand.call(ReIndexAsyncIndexerCommand.java:16)
	at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.admin.index.AbstractAsyncIndexerCommand.call(AbstractAsyncIndexerCommand.java:23)
	at com.atlassian.jira.task.TaskManagerImpl$TaskCallableDecorator.call(TaskManagerImpl.java:374)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at com.atlassian.jira.task.ForkedThreadExecutor$ForkedRunnableDecorator.run(ForkedThreadExecutor.java:250)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

My end-users get this error when they try to rank new issues. They can still rank old issues.

Rank error

I have tried both indexing options without any luck. I'm not sure that the indexing failure has anything to do with the Jira Agile upgrade because I have done the same on my test enviroment without errors.

We are running Jira v6.1.7#6163-sha1:94d557d.

Regards,

Martin

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Green July 31, 2014

I ended up with:

1) Stop Jira

2) Backup database

3) Delete the two issues from the database

4) Start Jira

5) Re-index.

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2014

Hi Martin,

Have you tried the debugging steps provided at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+indexing+failed+after+upgrade+with+Reindex+ALL+FAILED+error

Cheers

Bhushan

Martin Green July 30, 2014

Hi

Yes, I have tried it.

Solution 1: Tried a few times but the same error occurs.

Solution 2 & 3: Query returs 0 rows.

Solution 4: I get a bunch of results on both queries. But we are not using LDAP accounts.

Solution 5: We are not running scriptrunner or any other new installed plugin.

In the atlassian-jira.log these two lines were respectively before and after the error from the first post.

Before:

2014-07-31 08:04:46,481 JiraTaskExectionThread-1 ERROR <username> 476x88x1 ga4add <local ip>,127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/jira/IndexReIndex.jspa [jira.util.index.CompositeIndexLifecycleManager] Reindex All FAILED. Indexer: DefaultIndexManager: paths: [D:\jira-6.1.7-home\caches\indexes\comments, D:\jira-6.1.7-home\caches\indexes\issues, D:\jira-6.1.7-home\caches\indexes\changes, D:\jira-6.1.7-home\caches\indexes\plugins\atlassian-subversion-revisions]

After:

2014-07-31 08:04:46,481 JiraTaskExectionThread-1 INFO <username> 476x88x1 ga4add <local ip>.24,127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/jira/IndexReIndex.jspa [action.admin.index.IndexAdminImpl] Re-indexing finished

Regards,

Martin

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2014

Hi Martin,

Your indexes might be corrupt. You can try the following:

1. Stop JIRA

2. Delete the indexes directory under JIRA_HOME/caches/

3. Start JIRA

Like TOC likes this

Unfortunately that didn't help either. Still the same error :(

A closer study to the logs revealed this which I guess is the two errors:

2014-07-31 07:57:34,968 JiraTaskExectionThread-1 WARN <username> 476x88x1 ga4add <local ip>,127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/jira/IndexReIndex.jspa [atlassian.jira.index.AccumulatingResultBuilder] java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Expected exactly one rank row for issue[id=57289] for rank field[id=11348], but found 2 rows

2014-07-31 07:57:34,968 JiraTaskExectionThread-1 WARN <username> 476x88x1 ga4add <local ip>,127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/jira/IndexReIndex.jspa [atlassian.jira.index.AccumulatingResultBuilder] java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Expected exactly one rank row for issue[id=57288] for rank field[id=11348], but found 2 rows

I have now found the two problematic issues from the issueid.

I can access them from:

http://jiraserver/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?id=57288

http://jiraserver/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?id=57289

I thought I just could delete them and then my re-index would work again, but when I try to delete them nothing happens. The confirm Delete button deactives after I click on it and only the cancel button is active. And then nothing happens.

What should I do next?

Suggest an answer