Problem with create a new operation

Raffaela Kainz May 6, 2013

Hello :)

I have a big problem with create a new operation. I create new projects and also operations, but

suddenly I can't create a new operation. Don't know why.. I handle a little bit at the admin site. (monitor mask, authority, and so on) My suspicion is the monitor mask..

Have you an idea?

Thank you for your help.

Greetings Raffaela

3 answers

0 votes
Ralph Lebinger June 12, 2013

Hello, I am a colleague of Raffaela and I wanted to share the solution to our problem. I am sorry that it took me this long to post.

We have a Plugin installed which enables a Gantt-Chart for our Projects. One of the fields of this plugin was set as required but didn't appear on the form. Therefore whenever someone wanted to create an issue it was not possible because the required field was not provided. When using the popup dialog for creating an issue the error was not presented to the user. I had to disable the popup dialog to find the solution to this problem.

Thanks for your help. :-)

0 votes
Raffaela Kainz May 7, 2013

1) Yes I ticked at this..

2) Don't know what you mean excactly :( (we have plugins. (greenhopper, gantt chart, folio, xporter)

3) now we use the default workflow. I created my own, but then I delated my workflow.

4) we tried to create an issue now, the log -->

May 8, 2013 10:41:26 AM com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.WebComponent filterFormParameters

WARNING: A servlet POST request, to the URI http://jira:8080/rest/gadget/1.0/login, contains form parameters in the request body but the request body has been consumed by the servlet or a servlet filter accessing the request parameters. Only resource methods using @FormParam will work as expected. Resource methods consuming the request body by other means will not work as expected.

Hope this can help ..

I can also send you the hole log from today if it is necessary.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2013

1. Ok - that box will clear the form ready for another issue - I've seen it confuse a coupe of users before, they didn't realise that their issue had been created and the window was persisting because it was there to let them enter the next issue. Could you check that it's definitely not creating anything? (Although, I suspect your point 4 answers it)

2. Javascript can be used to modify the behaviour of an application on the user's browser. The javascript is held on the server, but run by the users browser, not the server. It's very common to see "clever" javascript tricks in Jira break the UI because they're not coded well enough, or try to do the impossible through a lack of understanding. A form where a button-click does nothing is a common symptom of broken javascript that's been added by your admins. However, I think point 4 is the important one...

3. Ah good, that rules out the workflow.

4. I think that's the problem. It's the core of Jira throwing an error because you've handed it information it cannot handle for some reason. From memory, I've seen this thrown by three different problems.

What version of Jira and Java are you running? I've seen this happen when an incompatible JVM is used (e.g. trying to run Jira 5 on Java 1.4). I doubt it's this though, you'd have had other problems as well. Got to mention it and rule it out though!

Could someone have started your Jira installation as the wrong user? For example, if it's installed and run a "Jira" normally, and someone in Operations logs in and runs it as themselves? (Again, I'd expect to have seen other errors)

Lastly, it could be struggling with the information coming from the browser. Cookies or session variables being lost means that when you're posting the new issue, Jira can't actually establish your user ID or session. Could you clear your browser cookies and history, log out and restart the browser? See if it persists after that? Also, what is your authentication method?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2013

You need to explain what you mean when you say "new operation"? It's not clear (because Jira uses "Operation" to mean one specific thing, not because you've said anything wrong)

I think you might be meaning

• a *Jira* operation (Edit, create, comment, log work, etc)?
  • a *Jira* transition within a workflow (Could be anything, but the default workflow has things like "start progress, resolve, close". Does your workflow have "monitor mask, authority and so on" as transitions?)
  • Actually using one of the two above?
  • Something else
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2013

It seems like it could be new issues though, based on when he said 'create new projects and also operations'

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2013

Yes, that's why I asked. It could mean "I can't create new issues any more", which implies someone has changed the permissions (either on the user account or the project), but the stuff about monitor masks makes me think it's not that simple.

Raffaela Kainz May 7, 2013

thank you for your answers. I mean issues, sorry :) If i click at "create a new issue", then the form opens. I can fill the fields out, but if i click at "create issue" nothing happens. No error, no loading, nothing. I wait a few minutes, but nothing happens, the form stays unchanged. I adapt some fields at the admin opinion. Afore I had the problem, that I blind-out some fields, and then I had the error message "plase fill out the briefing" or so on. So I fade in the fields.. And then I had this problem with the form, that shows no react.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2013

Ah, ok. You can't create new issues, that's clear now.

So, as an admin, you've been amending fields - removing and adding mandatory fields on the screens from the sound of it. That should not have caused this problem though - if you try to create an issue and miss a mandatory field, it should tell you. If you get them all correct, it should create the issue and let you move on. What you are currently seeing is not right.

Some more questions I'm afraid:

• Have you got the "create another issue" flag at the bottom of the screen ticked? (If using the pop-up create)
  • Have you got any customised javascript on the creation screen? (Your own, or the behaviours plugin?)
  • Are you using the default workflow, or your own? If it's your own, have you customised the "create" transition in any way?
  • Can you read the logs for the time that you try the creation?

Suggest an answer