Problem with add-ons

Scott Molinari January 6, 2014

Hi,

I am getting this error at the top of the add-on system/ manager.

The JIRA server was contacted but has returned an error response. We are unsure of the result of this operation.

The only error in the browser I am getting is a 404 to this URL.

www.url.com/jira/rest/nav-links-analytics-data/1.0/?_=1389080711670

I can't install any add-ons.

Any clue as to what can be wrong?

Scott

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Molinari January 9, 2014

I've fixed the issue by simply re-installing everything on the server from scratch and NOT installing Plesk. If you have Plesk and also Nginx set up as an http proxy, Jira's add-on system just doesn't work properly. I had a very experienced server guru also try his hand at getting the set-up to work and NO-GO. He said the problem is Plesk. So, just a word of warning.

Scott

0 votes
jing_hwa_cheok
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2014

Hi Scott,

I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting guide in here.

It is highly possible this is caused by one of the issue mentioned in the guide.

Scott Molinari January 7, 2014

Thanks Jing. I pinged both "marketplace.atlassian.com" and "dq1dnt4af4eyy.cloudfront.net" and both pinged fine.

I don't see any other tips to follow, when the ping works.

Any other suggestions?

On an off note. This kind of error is a usability/ programming issue too. The software knows exactly why it is throwing the error and thus it should also report its reasons for throwing the error in the error message. That information would help the customer find answers themselves and not have to come to support with a very vague occurance of an error. And if the customer doesn't find the answer, it would help the support team give it to them.

Just food for thought.

Edit: and the "www.url.com" above in the 404ed URL is a replacement of my own jira URL.

Scott

Oh, one more thing. I am not sure the error is showing, because of issues with the marketplace connectivity or with my Jira server. I'd think it is the latter and why I mentioned the 404 url coming from the page rendering/ inspection.

Scott

Oh, and when I try to install an add-on with this problem, all I see is an overlay with "Installing "add-on name" and a rotating image. The function never times out and never says anything went wrong. To me, this is another usability issue.

Scott

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2014

Hi Scott,

Did you take a look in your log files? Is there a stack trace or another more detailed message there?

Best regards,

Peter

Ok. I've also tried to simply upload the add-on both from my computer and from the server. No-go. Neither works. Again, I just get the "Uploading add-on XYZ" message and the rotating image.

I am starting to think this issue does have something to do with the /rest directory connectivity missing. I got another 404 wanting to get a file from under this directory.

This is it.

http://www.url.com/jira/rest/plugins/1.0/?_=1389164284012

Scott

Ok. I've also tried to simply upload the add-on both from my computer and from the server. No-go. Neither works. Again, I just get the "Uploading add-on XYZ" message and the rotating image.

I am starting to think this issue does have something to do with the /rest directory connectivity missing. I got another 404 wanting to get a file from under this directory.

This is it.

http://www.url.com/jira/rest/plugins/1.0/?_=1389164284012

The call comes from batch.js.

Scott

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2014

What happens if you simply call the url using your browser?

Your log files seem to be free of problems so I'm thinking it might be a problem with a proxy or another server that's blocking the access to those rest interfaces.

What happens if you change your base url to localhost?

best regards,

Peter

Here is an excerpt of the jira access log.

What is strange is, purchased add-ons worked fine. I installed Agile and Capture with no problems at all using the uploading feature.

Scott

(errorlog.txt)

I get a 404 when I call the /rest URL itself.

Changed the base URL to localhost and only got the warning at the top, that is is wrong.

I have to also say, I have Nginx in front of Apache and had to do some redirecting to get Jira to work. It could be, the redirecting through to Apache isn't proper.

Why can installing paid add-ons work and free ones not work? Is there a difference on how Jira handles them?

Scott

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2014

That would indicate that your request is being blocked somewhere, most likely your proxy server. Could you check this with your sys admin?

Best regards,

Peter

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2014

Good luck, it might something as simple as the fact that all rest calls are blocked by your proxy.

Did you try installing the plugins when you changed the base url to localhost?

Best regards,

Peter

I am the sys admin. LOL (admittedly not a great one). But, I do have someone who is more knowledgeable than I am. I'll ask him to have a look at get back.

Scott

0 votes

Sorry, rereading I can see how this is confusing. I see the 404, when I inspect the page, when it loads.

Scott

0 votes
Scott Molinari January 6, 2014

Hi,

This is what I am seeing and the 404 comes from the URL being called from this page. I am not even sure it has anything to do with the problem.

Scott

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2014

Hi Scott,

Can you actually see the page and upload your addons?

Or do you simply get a 404 page if you click on Manage Add-ons?

Best regards,

Peter

Suggest an answer