Problem with Resolution field

Hi,

I have a problem (maybe bug?) with Jira.
My configuration is:

• I have different values in my field 'Resolution'. Default value is 'En procés'.
  • I create a project in Jira with default workflow and edit view, create and edit screen. In view issue I can see 'Resolution' field.

http://subefotos.com/ver/?92b3fd376a14556d754f00eab2f3a801o.png

My problem is that when I create a new issue in project, value for field 'Resolution' is 'Unresolved' and NOT 'En procés' (my default value).

http://subefotos.com/ver/?17b15d2ad7e1c95a9869a5a6bcc47894o.png

If I go to next step in my workflow, value updates and put correctly 'En procés' but in my first step (next to create issue) don't show default value...

http://subefotos.com/ver/?34240d382dfeb5b2fe55e51326f98e26o.png (NEXT STEP)

I try to find solution for my problem, so I put a post-function in my workflow that force to put 'En procés' in Resolution field after create issue but doesn't work...

http://subefotos.com/ver/?b6d208e20bdc150c375f2b90dce10edbo.png

Any suggestion about my problem?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Yew Teck En Atlassian Team Mar 05, 2013

Hi Daniel, you want the resolution field to set to "En proces"after issue creation but not allowed it to chose in the create issue screen.

I reviewed your screenshot and found that the update field post function are not in the correct position:

http://subefotos.com/ver/?b6d208e20bdc150c375f2b90dce10edbo.png

Please move the Resolution set post function before the Issue Created event was fired.

The post function should be looks like:

However, do take note of the feedback from Nic or Faysal where JIRA will sees this issue as resolved when the resolution field are set. This will affect chart such as Created vs Resolved chart result.

Teck that won't work.

i already tried on my sandbox...created issues always appeared unresolved to me

Faysal, it will as I just tested in the test instance. The position of the post function specified are indeed important.

If you put the update before the issue created - it will not take effect

If you put the update after the event fire - it will not take effect as well

It has to be in between like the screenshot I posted.

It works Teck!

I move up and when I create a new issue, field 'Resolution' is my default value.

'En proces' is catalan and traduction for English is 'In progress'. I have to put this in resolution field to give to client that there is not resolution yet and we are working for solve issue.

Thanks guys!

yeah that's exactly what i did too. i know about the positions of postfunctions so i already placed the update between the two default entries...my issues was created but resolution was unresolved.

i was tryin on 5.2.7

well that sounds good. now i start wondering why it didn't work for me when i tested it before :)

Good to hear it works. However Daniel, it would still be better to have a separate field(select list as replacement) or have the customer refer to the status. Resolution field still not good option in my opinion as it means the ticket has been resolved on the system side.

Faysal perhaps you can try in a fresh project and workflow and see if it's working?

>'En proces' is catalan and traduction for English is 'In progress'. I have to put this in resolution field to give to client that there is not resolution yet and we are working for solve issue.

Argh, that's not going to work. You have set the resolution to "En Proces". Which means Jira will tell your client that the issue is finished and closed and you are not working on it any more.

Seriously, you are doing completely the wrong thing here. Setting the resolution to anything means it is closed!

exactly. thats what i suggested 35 mins before ;) use a custom field unless a status like i.e. "En Procés" is no detail enough for your customers to show that your team is actually working on the issue.

setting the resolution means you have finished working on the issue and the resolution is ${available value}

you really may think over your scenario daniel.

hi daniel.

unfortunately i can't see your uploaded screenshots..

but what i understand from your description is that you want to switch the default value for an unresolved issue from "Unresolved" to your own "En procés" ?

an issue is stated "Unresolved" it there is NO resolution set what means the field appears EMPTY.

you may look for a postfunction that says "The Resolution of the issue will be cleared" wich automatically sets the resolution to "Unresolved" cause it is Empty then.

i.e. in Jiras default workflow every single transition that except resolve and close use this postfunction i mentioned above to make sure the issue appears as "unresolved" during the entire working process

But I don't understand because I made a Post-Function that Update field resolution to in procés and doesn't work... so the field is not empty! no?

To add to that, I think what you should do is stop trying to use "En procés" because if you use that as a resolution, Jira will ALWAYS think the issue is resolved.

I think what you actually need to do is get Jira to display "En procés" instead of "unresolved"?

See this screenshot:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vn00au&s=6

This is in first transtion... is correct no? Why don't update the field?

exactly. once you update the value and choose to set "en procés" it is not empty no more...and therefor recognized as resolved

this will confuse your users as issue-keys might appear striked-out

Is this a postfunction from Create?

i can only guess....but maybe jira won't accept new issues that are already resolved?

but if this works for you check the postfunctions from any other transition that moves your issue to another step. you might find some where the resolution will be cleared

Hi Daniel, what Faysal and Nic meant was JIRA recognized if the issue resolved or not through the resolution field. If you had set the resolution field, it would taken as a resolved issue no matter what you status are(eg. in process or testing).

You mentioned it's not setting the resolution field when you creating the issue. Are you using the default screen as the resolution field only appeared in the resolved screen. The resolution is a system field that it would shown on the view screen no matter what.

Are you trying to have the option to select resolution during issue creation but with "en proces" as the default value of the resolution field? Perhaps you need to let us know what you're trying to achieve so we can help you better? :)

if "classificacio" is the step thats similar to "Open" from the default flow i guess it is correct

Two things -

I've had a use-case for "create issue that is already resolved" and I seem to remember having problems setting it on create. We ended up with a listener that caught the create event, scanned a couple of fields on the new issue and set the resolution as required.

I really don't think that case applies. I really do think you want to change "unresolved" to display as "En Proces", unless you want Jira to think that everything is fixed all the time!

Yes, it postfunction from create.

This is the first steps in my workflow:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=160d99k&s=6

Is my configuration correct?

Yes, sorry guys for my expression.

That I want to do is that put in issue creation the value of 'En proces' but not see in Creation Issue Screen.

Do you understand me now?

Thanks in advance!!

Yes, I think that's what we're describing. My question is more about checking that you understand the implication of doing this - the way you are approaching it now means that you will be creating closed issues

so this describes exactly what nic said.

your created issue should show "En Procés" as default value for the field "Resolution"

this can't be done without doing changes that will affect your entire instance.

I really do think you want to change "unresolved" to display as "En Proces", unless you want Jira to think that everything is fixed all the time!

this is what you will get.

i suggest creating a customfield and put your Values there but leave the resolution field like it is and don't plan to use it for other purposes.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

49 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you