Problem with JQL query

Goutham June 24, 2013

Hi There,

I have used the following queries to retrieve required issues.

1. project in (ProjectA) AND assignee = "admin" AND status not in ("Closed") and resolution not in ("Won't Fix", "Cannot Reproduce", Duplicate)

2. project in (ProjectA) AND assignee = "admin" AND status not in ("Closed") and resolution in (Unresolved, Fixed)

Query 2 returned me with some matching issues but Query 1 showing no matching issues found.

Why the Query 1 not returning any matching issues as it is same as Query 2.?

Thanks & Regards,

Goutham

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2013

It's because the resolution field is behaving logically, which doesn't quite match the English interpretation of the JQL you've written.

I'm going to rephrase the resolution clauses in your two queries:

1. Resolution is set to something, but not "won't fix", "cannot reproduce" or "duplicate"

2. Resolution is not set, or it is set to "fixed"

Note that the first query has come out with "resolution is set to something". This is because an issue without a resolution actually effectively has "null", which can't be compared with a list of issues.

Try changing the clause to "(not in (x,y,z)) or unresolved)"

Goutham June 24, 2013

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your Response. So What should be my final Query.?

Thanks & Regards,

Goutham

Goutham June 24, 2013

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your Response. So What should be my Query.?

Thanks & Regards,

Goutham

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2013

Change the resolution related clause to what I said in my answer.

Suggest an answer