Problem with CSV upload

Charalampos Psarropoulos September 11, 2014

Currently on JIRA On Demand and facing an import issue with the CSV. It seems that while it was working in the past, at some point it stopped but not sure if I am doing something wrong. The CSV I try to upload is:

Issue Type,Summary,Priority,Assignee,Due Date,Description,Issue ID,Parent ID

Simplified Task,Summary 5,High,chpsar,20/07/2014,,5,

Simplified Sub-task,Summary 5.1,High,chpsar,20/07/2014,"This is a description

with multiple

lines",,5

Simplified Sub-task,Summary 5.2,High,chpsar,20/07/2014,,,5

The date format I am using in the configuration is dd/mm/yyyy

When I try to validate the file I get the following two errors:

• Issue can't be created due to the error/s [ You did not enter a valid date. Please enter the date in the format "d/MMM/yy", eg. "12/Sep/14" ]
  • Issue can't be created due to the error/s [ Issue type is a sub-task but parent issue key or id not specified. ]

Any ideas what am I doing wrong?

I have also tried the format proposed in the date error message and again I got the same error.

Thank you

6 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
pborkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2014

Hi Haris,
There are two possibilities of such situation.

1. SubTask are not enabled (but you have just confirmed that they are, so I believe it's not the case)
  2. You are using Bulk Create (new added feature, available under Issues top level menu) - Bulk Craete is not yet supporting SubTasks, but it's a frequently asked feature, so we are considering adding it in near future. Connected improvement request is reported in JIM project: https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/JIM-1391

To create subtasks via CSV file please use admin CSV Importer which is available under "External System Import" item in System section.

0 votes
Charalampos Psarropoulos September 15, 2014

Thank you very much, that did it. You really need to note that the two importers are different so that people do not get mixed up.

Thank you very much for the clarification and the help.

0 votes
Charalampos Psarropoulos September 15, 2014

Hello and thank you too for your answer,

Find below a screenshot of when I try to map the Issue ID csv field to the relevant JIRA field. There is no option for Issue Id. Same happens for the Parent ID. Don't know if I am doing something wrong.

image2014-9-16 15:2:43.png

Sub tasks are enabled in the installation and the "simplified sub task" is a sub-task type of issue.

I am working on the cloud version so, currently on JIRA 6.4.

Thank you

0 votes
pborkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2014

I just tried to reproduce your problem (JIRA 6.2 and JIM 6.2.3) and I was able to import everything correctly, that's the configuration that I used:

Zaznaczenie_088.png

The only thing I did before the import is making sure that I have enabled sub-tasks and "Simplified Sub-task" exists and is a Sub-Task Issue Type.

0 votes
Charalampos Psarropoulos September 14, 2014

Hello and thank you for your answer.

The problem with the date seems to be overcome (weird as I have used the exact same changes in the past and it would not work). Concerning the task and sub-task, I am having an issue there still. To which fields should I map these two values? I do not have any relevant options in the drop down lists of the Map Fields screen and the Map Field Value option cannot be checked.

Thank you

0 votes
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2014

Hi Haris,

First, inside your CSV file you need to change ALL the dates to this format: "d/MMM/yy", eg. "12/Sep/14".

After that, when doing the mapping you need to also map the following fields:

• issue id (that will be the issue key on your CSV file)
  • parent id (that will be the issue key of the parent issue of this subtask on you CSV file)

Could you give that a try? smile

Cheers!

Suggest an answer