Problem when Creating Issue

Anders Westman March 3, 2013

Hi.

When some of our users tries to create issues in Jira they see the following "create issue screen", and are unable to create the issue.

I have checked the permissions i Jira and they are the same as other users that are able to create issues.

Any suggestions to what might cause this??

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Anders Westman March 4, 2013

It seems that we needed to change the text encoding to UTF-8 (~/bin/tomcat-startup: export JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Dfile.encoding=utf-8")

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2013

Looks more like a browser issue - it's not rendering the data it's getting back from the server.

What version of Jira are you on?

What browser are you using here?

What is the pattern? E.g is it the same users on the same browsers? Is it always the same for the same people? Is it always the same for the same browsers? Both?

Thanks for the reply!

The problem seems not related to the browser. I have with different accounts in the same browsers (IE 8, 9, 10 and latest version of Chrome), it works for some accounts, and some others have this problem and it dosent matter which browser I use.

The version of Jira in use is: v5.0.6#733-sha1:f48fab7

The pattern is the following: It's allways the same person that has the problem. It is more then when person which has the problem. It is not related to computer/browser as the problem just seems connected to the account, so if i switch computer/browser my account still works, others don't.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2013

Ohh, and what happens if you clear the browser cache before re-logging-in as a "broken" user?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2013

Hmm. If it's cross-browser, then that implies that the browser isn't getting the full information it needs about the page to render it (I had to check though - I've seen something like this on a browser once and frankly, it was a really crummy browser, so swapping to a proper one fixed it)

If it's not getting the full information, missing css or something, or it's not getting all the html, then that begs the question of what it's missing. Three lines of investigation spring to mind next

1. What authentication are you using? If you're using LDAP and that's integrated with the network access, then could your user be failing to reach all the files because of their network configuration?

2. Could you both look at the same page and use ctrl-u to see the source. Are you getting the same? (Barring your user id stuff at the top right)

3. I'm a bit fuzzy on the tools you might have available, but can you do browser debugging? (e.g. firebug-lite on chrome, firebug on firefox etc)

I think we have solved the problem.

It seems that we needed to change the text encoding to UTF-8 (~/bin/tomcat-startup: export JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Dfile.encoding=utf-8")

Still a strange problem though as the problem occured for different accounts at different time... maybe cache related?!?

Thanks for the input Nic!

Suggest an answer