Problem showing 'tab' in view issue

DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2013

Hi

I make a new Screen that I associate with operation 'View Issue' in a Screen Scheme. In this new Screen I make two different 'tabs' ('Tab1' and 'Tab2'). I make the same with Create Screen and Edit Screen.

I put my Screen Scheme in one new project. Looks good on Create Issue and Edit Issue (there are showing tabs 'Tab1' and 'Tab2' correctly) but when I see the issue (View Issue) I don't see this 2 tabs...

I don't know why don't show 'tabs' information... anybody can help me or give me any idea about how to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

12 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2013

Hey,

just guessing: Your first "tab" is the information you see when viewing an issue. As soon as you enter some data!! on the second tab it shows on the view issue page. As long as no data is entered on that tab it doesn't show... Maybe that's your problem?

Cheers Christian

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2013

Probably because you only have system fields on your first tab. They are shown in that specific area right underneath your summary. Below that area you have your custom fields. Maybe add another custom field on your first tab and populate it. Now you shouls see two tabs...

Like # people like this
DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2013

Hi Christian!

Thanks for your help. I don't know if there are not data, not show the tab...
I put data and works! But if you see, the 'View Issue' Screen don't show to me the tittle of the tab. To understandme, I created 2 tabs in my view issue screen:

Tab 1: With Issue Type, Summatory, Description, ...

Tab 2: With Custom Fiedl 'Producte'

I you see in the next image:

http://subefotos.com/ver/?24d45e606c7cbe4a541822ff7d6f82b2o.png

You see 'Producte' but I don't see the tittle tab (that is 'Tab2')... why? It's normal?

Thanks Christian!

DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2013

You have solution!

'Tabs' are for Custom Fields and not for System Fields...
I make another CF and put in Tab and show the tittle!

Thanks Christian!

3 votes
Victor Gleim January 22, 2015

It looks like a bug - I don't see any tabs on a View screen either.

Burke Autrey March 5, 2015

agreed

2 votes
Azfar Masut August 24, 2016

Hey There,

You will need to ensure that on both of the tabs, there are custom fields. So for example, you have Tab A and Tab B, ensure both of this tab have a custom field, then only the tab will show appropriately. This is due to the tab will only be showing for custom fields and not system fields.

Selection_186.pngSelection_187.png

Selection_185.pngCheers

Eric Maras November 30, 2016

This worked for me. Seems like intentional but strange functionality. Really wish it was not this way...

1 vote
Sukai Qin July 15, 2016

Hi Daniel,

First, make sure to set up the screen with the tab in the screen scheme. 

Second, I noticed that if there's no field in the main tab filled in, JIRA will just show things in the second tab in the details field. So make sure to fill out dummy values in the main tab when you create the test ticket. 

Third, a field in JIRA won't show if it doesn't have value. So make sure to set default values like To-do, TBU, or N/A to the fields in the new tab. 

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Sukai

Daniel Bols May 23, 2018

Thanks Sukai and Azfar !

We were going crazy trying to figure out why some issues showed 2 tabs and others none  LOL

As you say, if the "main" tab (in the create/edit screen) has system fields and no custom fields are used or not filled out, and all system fields are by design on the View screen, then the "main" tab would be blank and there's no reason to show it Lol

I do agree with the below to show the 2nd tab so people using the View screen  don't have to "edit" the issue to get to that tab's fields.

Please check and upvote https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-67026

0 votes
Lillian Shibata-Salley October 18, 2018

Hi - I'm having the same issue and I have a custom field there that is a radio button field and now when selecting the radio button option the field shows up in the main tab and not the new tab...

Any suggestions?

Lillian Shibata-Salley October 18, 2018

Also just noticed when I edit an item, I can see the tab and the fields are where they are supposed to be but not in the view.

Like dmitry.bortsov likes this
dmitry.bortsov December 24, 2020

It looks weird that the Jira team can't fix it in 5 years

0 votes
Tilman Mürle March 27, 2018

Please check and upvote https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-67026

It is not normal that we have to create a dummy custom field in the main tab for the second tab to appear. This isn't clean.

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2015

To get the extra tabs to show they have to contain custom fields that are not shown in another area of the screen, so no date or user fields. Text and select fields will on a second tab will make that tag show up on the view screen when there is data in the field

0 votes
Hugh Hiers February 18, 2015

I was having an issue with the tabs not displaying on my Create Issue screen.  A little poking around and I stumbled upon some curious functionality related to the "Configure Fields" dropdown in the top right of the window.  Apparently, if you customize the field view it flattens the tabs and all checked fields appear on a single screen.

I don't know if this is a bug or if it's just a peculiar effect, but switching back to "All" re-established the tabs for me.

Burke Autrey March 5, 2015

The thread is about the tabs not showing on the View Issue screen. I don't think Create Issue screens are having a problem.

Laura Hatzenbuhler March 11, 2021

Oh my gosh!  That solved the issue I was having!  Thank you Hugh!

0 votes
Michael Blake March 13, 2014

My old screens display multiple tabs on the view issue screen, however, when I create new screens, all of the data is displayed without tabs on the view issue screen. I think this is a bug in jIRA

0 votes
Douglas Paul March 4, 2014

No matter what I do I can't make custom tab show up on tickets by default. The system requires that the custom fields under the custom tab have a value even though I set the value of the custom field to a default custom value.

This strike me as a bug in Jira. A really annoying one.

0 votes
Deleted user May 15, 2013

i dont' see tabs on the "view issue" page no matter what i do. I can get custom fields to show below the standard fields, but don't really understand how to control that.

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2013
Hi daniel. I think view-issue won't show tabs. That's only in create screen
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2013

Hey, of course you can have tabs:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Screen

Any custom fields (except 'Date' fields) that have been added to the 'View Issue' screen can be moved onto a separate tab. Note, this restriction only applies to the screen associated with the 'View Issue' operation.

Cheers Christian

DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2013

It think it's possible to have tabs because Jira show this option when tyou edit view screen in a scheme screen...

Suggest an answer