Priority on events or notifications?

Clemens Luebbers July 11, 2017

Hi,

with an edit action you may have several events in 1 action, e.g.:
- issue assigned  (due to changed assignee)
- issue updated (due to modified fields)
- issue commented (due to comment provided on edit screen).

Where is it documented (or what are the rules) if a user is configured to receive notifications for more than 1 of these events?

User will receive only 1 notification for the whole action - but which?

Regards

Clemens

1 answer

0 votes
Christoph Schötz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2017

Hey Clemens,

have you had a look at the notification scheme of your project? This is where the notifications are usually configured. By the way - are you sure that the user receives only one notification for the change or is it just because of your configuration of the notification scheme?

Cheers

Christoph

Clemens Luebbers July 12, 2017

Hi Christoph,

my question is not "who" gets notifications, but who gets "which" notification (notification for Assigned and Updated are different).

The "who" is configured in notification scheme - but if same user would be notified by several events and 1 action triggers several  events - which event (notification) will the user get?

And yes, same user gets only 1 notification for 1 action.

For edit action in our environment it seems "Assigned" has priority versus "Updated" - but what is the rule behind - real priority or alphabetical order of event or ...? What about other actions?

And by the way I was wrong regarding the commented event. Adding a comment in edit screen does NOT trigger an Issue commented event.

Cheers

Clemens

Christoph Schötz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2017

Hi Clemens, 

Thanks for the clarification. The question is when are two events triggered? If you change the assignee usually the assignee changed event should be triggered (Atlassian changed this some time ago), if you update the issue and not the assignee issue updated etc - in the workflows you can define which event is triggered during the transition (general event if you don't change it). So when would you expect a different event to be triggered? 

Cheers 

Christoph 

Clemens Luebbers July 13, 2017

Hi Christoph,

thanks for your reply - please look at the original post.

Edit action CAN trigger different events in 1 step (if assignee is changed via edit screen).

Regards

Clemens

Hi Clemens, 

Imho just answered this question... 

Cheers 

Christoph 

Hi Christoph,

I do not see (or recognise) the answer WHICH notification is send out, if several events are triggered.

Can you please explain?

Thanks

Clemens

Christoph Schötz
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2017

Hi Clemens, 

If you change the assignee usually the assignee changed event should be triggered (Atlassian changed this some time ago), if you update the issue and not the assignee issue updated etc - in the workflows you can define which event is triggered during the transition (general event if you don't change it).

Cheers 

Christoph 

Hi Christoph,

there seems to be an misunderstanding:
I am talking about event bundles, which Jira uses now. And I am NOT talking about workflow postfunctions, where you set exactly 1 event.

When you have a edit screen with Assignee on it and you do a edit ACTION and change the assignee and other data in the edit screen, then there are at least 2 events triggered at the same time:

the Issue assigned event AND the Issue updated event.

So, if a user is configured as notification recipient for both events - which notification does he get? (and user definitly only gets 1 of these).
My tests showed the notification related to "Issue assigned" is send, but is that the rule or just "by accident" in our Jira instance?

I do not know, if other acctions also trigger several event - e.g. if I move an issue and change assignee in the same action, will that also trigger 2 events (Issue Moved and Issue Assigned) - and if so, which event is used first for notification?
Which other bundles may occur in which action?

I did not find any documentation on these questions from Atlassian.

Probably I will need to raise a support request.

Regards

Clemens

Christoph Schötz
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2017

Hi Clemens,

it is indeed a misunderstanding - I am suggesting that if both issue updated and assignee changed are triggered by a change not in the workflow assignee changed should be triggered/the notification for assignee changed should be sent. If you want to confirm that this is always the case/works as designed/to make it really sure raise a support request ;)

Cheers

Christoph

Hi Christoph,

thanks for your thoughts and comments. I will leave the question as open, as it is my attempt to get information about the rules behind this behaviour of Jira (which hopefully will exist).

Kind regards

Clemens

Suggest an answer