Priority mapping

Július Presinszky October 6, 2014

Dear all,

I have a question how to map JIRA priorities based on existing custom field value. We have custom field called "Demand Priority" with values (Legal, High, Standard) we want to map these priorities to "Real" JIRA priorities. (Blocker, Critical...).

We know that script runner (but we do not exactly know how to do it) can be used but can we restrict running the script only for certain issue type?
I would appreciate a code example.
does anybody have idea how to do it?

thank you in advance!

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2014

What do you mean by "map"?  

I mean do you want to use JIRA priorities permanently?  Copy the data?  Display it differently?  

You can run whatever scripts you need to against one or many issue types, but I think you need to explain what the end goal is before we can help you much.

Július Presinszky October 6, 2014

Hi Nic, First I want to change "Real" JIRA Priorities based on value in custom field "Demand Priority" and afterwards I will delete the custom field. Example: in field "Demand Priority" is value "High" script should change the "real priority" to Critical. After this "mapping" is provided in all issues of one issue type the field "Demand Priority" will be deleted from system and users will use "real" priorities.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2014

Ah, good, that's a sensible way to go. What's the size of the data? I'd be tempted to use bulk-edit, but that becomes cumbersome for several thousand issues. If it is large, then yes, I'd use the script runner to run and iterate over a filter for "demand priority is not empty" and update the system priority accordingly

Suggest an answer