Priority VS rank

Anna Agafonova June 19, 2013

We are using Kanban board, but also JIRA issue priorities - with a large backlog this is inevitable. When a high-priority issue is added, right now it is necessary to go to the Kanban board and manually rank it to top.

Are there any known solution for working around the whole rank vs priority concept? Something like automatic ordering by priority which can be overriden by Rank would apparently be perfect, but as that is not possible, I'm just interested in how this is solved in different projects.

2 answers

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2013

Hi Anna, just in case I'm adding this links to see if haven't seen and it helps you:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/19346/how-to-move-new-issues-to-the-top-of-global-rank

Here there's a possible workaround with a plugin. And it's mentioned the issue https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-749 but it has been open for ages...

Hi, thanks for the input but we're on onDemand so a plugin is not an option. The issue describes exactly what we'd want to achive, will vote and comment, thanks.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2013

Didn't saw the OD tag... That makes it little harder :-/

Too bad the issue it's so old and it doesn't even have an assignee

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 19, 2013

You could use swimlanes to group high priority issues at the top!

But I'm using swimlanes for grouping by assignee, this is definitely more important.

Like Dave Slavens likes this
Chris Nokes January 31, 2017

A good idea but not ideal, for me it's the backlog that needs to be in a sensible order for planning bugs in. Then once in the Board they can be organised by swinlane using whatever setting works for you, such as assignee or label.

Suggest an answer