Priority Color

GilK
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2012

Hi,

In Jira, for each priroty there is a color field.

What and how this priority color is used?

Thanks,

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2012

Um, it's used when displaying a priority.

Other than the basic "show us a priority" which is shown throughout Jira whereever there is a call for priority, it's used by the old calendar plugin. I'm not sure that there is any other use.

Jessie Williams April 4, 2016

I'm sorry but this really isn't a clear answer.

What is the purpose of the color by priority if you cannot set them to highlight the row text color or background color?

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2016

I'm not sure I can make it more clear.  It's used when you look at priorities.  It varies between versions as to where it's shown, and it's quite handy on the calendars.  That's it really.

Highlighting and background colours aren't implemented based on colour (which is a good thing because most people will do really bad things with it and render the systems unusable for the visually impaired)

Jessie Williams April 4, 2016

Thanks for the quick response. I must respectfully disagree. I may be barking up the wrong tree here but trac systems do this by default and its quite handy for seeing issues by priority.

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 4.45.25 PM.png

I have even seen there is an Atlassian plugin for a similar feature. We are just not willing to pay for something so basic that we have seen in other common systems.

Also, I was not talking about removing existing functionality, so it would make no difference for the visually impaired (which no one at our company is).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2016

Yes, it's something I remove as soon as I see it.  The example you've given isn't too bad (except that the colours are already inconsistent and hence pretty pointless), but a lot of places implement really appalling colour patterns.

Atlassian's design guide aims to prevent that sort of thing, so the use of colour is more discrete in the core systems, and they leave it to third party add-ons to add the function if you need it (if nothing else, it forces you to think about it, rather than just do it because you can, and hence mess it up)

I'm not sure what the comment about removing functionality was based on - we never mentioned removing anything.  Just not adding stuff that allows you to break it.

2 votes
Veracode May 20, 2014

When exactly is it used?

I see the icons (not the colors) when I click to change a priority, but I have not been able to find the colors used anywhere.

I also tried creating a "simple calendar", but I did not see the expected colors there.

Update: I found a place where color is used. One can configure a Kanban board to use the priority color coding for the colors of the cards on the board. Not sure if it's used anywhere else, but that's useful.

Suggest an answer