Pricing for Gantt OnDemand

Andrew Serff March 10, 2014

The pricing for the new Gantt OnDemand plugin says it is free for OnDemand instances. But when I go to add it, it saw the evaluation will end May 06. Why is there an evaluation period for a free product? Will there be a cost after this evaluation period? Also, is there a limit on the number of users?

8 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Adrian Wieczorek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2014

Hi Andrew, I'm not entirely sure where's that date in the system came from but you can safely ignore it. Gantt OnDemand *will* eventaully become a paid plugin but we are still in beta and haven't decided about any dates nor prices yet. During free to paid transition you'll be asked again if you still want to use the add-on and if so, evaluation period will start then.

As for the users, there's no limit. Anyone can use it.

Andrew Serff March 10, 2014

That's a little deciving if you ask me. We pay a lot of money already for our OnDemand instance, so any add ons need to be carefully considered. I don't want us to start using an add on for months because it's free and then all the sudden find out it's going to add $100/mo to our bill so we can no longer afford it. Then we (and our users) are going to lose a feature they have had for months. You should be upfront with your future plans and 1) Tell people the add on is in beta 2) The add on is free while in beta 3) the plug in will cost x amount of dollars per user once the add on is out of beta.

Until I know what it is going to cost us down the road, I don't know that it's even worth us trying out.

1 vote
Matt March 10, 2014

The time and effort investment of adopting a new functionality like this into our organizations workflow, and then potentialy removing it due to the cost is not worth the effort.

The "we'll let you know the price later" approach will result in a much lower commitment from trial users, and frustration from the ones who get priced out of using it.

I'll play with it but that's all till I find out more.

Re pricing strategy: pricing it according to the JIRA license level will be hard for us to justify. We've just paid another $2k yearly to add our 101st user. There may be 5 of us in the org that will use this functionality. Pricing it based on "500" users (the max of our new lisence level) will make it unrealistic.

1 vote
Adrian Wieczorek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2014

Andrew, Geoff, I understand your position here but you also have to understand that it is hard for me to talking about the price when the product isn't quite ready yet. There are still features that we want to implement, problems that we need to address etc. That is why we are in BETA and it's clearly stated everywhere.

However, I'd like to have more solid information about the pricing tiers and release plan before the end of March 2014. Also, I'm more than happy to hear in private what are your expectations here so feel free to reach me at adrian.wieczorek(at)wisoft.eu

I trully don't want Gantt OnDemand to become overpriced as part of the reason I've started building it was that (in my opinion) other solutions were way too expensive! :)

Shane Martin March 11, 2014

Hi Adrian,

With all due respect, there is nothing stating that this product is in beta. Especially considering this product was advertised by Atlassian in a recent e-mail.

Being upfront about it being in beta helps the customer understand that a) the product may radically change; b) the pricing may change.

As a 'newbie' to the Atlassian marketplace, I was expecting this product to be 'final' and also the price.

Trying not to over-step my mark and tell you how to run your business, shouldn't part of your product development be setting a price to measure market demand (at your expected price range) and help determine if the product is worth your time?

I would hate for you to spend so much of your time developing a product, only to pull support for it in a year or two because it isn't making enough money to continue to develop. Not to mention the customers who (as mentioned below) update their processes and train staff, only to have the tool revoked.

Thanks,

Shane

Adrian Wieczorek
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2014

Hi Shane,

On Add-on's page in Marketplace, under "More details" tab, you can read as follows:

"Important note: Although Gantt OnDemand is still in beta stage, it became quite useful and advanced tool since the first release. Thanks for the feedback we get from our users, we already implemented a lot of features, just to name a few: drag&drop support, flexible filtering mechanism and more. Please don't hesitate and let us know if you find any bugs or have some ideas how we may improve in the future!"

There's also an information about Beta on documentation page (which I have just made bold) in "How to install" section:

https://wisoft.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GanttOnDemand/Documentation

I agree that it could be made more visible and, as far as I remember, it was before recent Marketplace upgrades so I started discussion with the Atlassian team about that as well.

As for the rest, you're probably right. I could have done it much better from the marketing and product perspective but as I'm just a developer working on that project part-time for now, I'm focusing more on the things I know best in the first place, which is, delivering a great software :-)

Geoff Halstead March 11, 2014

Thanks for your reply. I agree with other posts here that it would be in your interest to state some pricing parameters and get market feedback. I will be happy to send you our thoughts privately.

If the pricing is right and some of the glitches worked out, we would definitely be a steady user. I have been searching for a good Gantt chart add-on for Atlassian since we started using 6 months ago. This fills a gaping hole in JIRA functionality that is just so obvious and needed.

Perhaps the Agile 'philosophy' is that nobody has timelines and deadlines, but that is not the way the real world works. I'll take responsibility for managing my CEO's expectations, but I need tools that enable me to lay-out my product development roadmap without having to leave behind my task management system!

Sprint's have dates, tasks have dependencies and all or organized into projects. So there is no good reason that I have every been able see why JIRA tickets could not be laid out in a Gantt framework.

So please accept my thanks and encouragement!

1 vote
Geoff Halstead March 10, 2014

Likewise we need to have some indication of pricing before we can evaluate the product seriously. The features look great - exactly what we have been looking for. But need to know at least ballpark cost.

0 votes
Joe Kiernan April 30, 2014

I disabled the addon but I cannot revoke or delete the admin user which is taking up one of my licences. How do I get rid of the Gantt OnDemand user????

Adrian Wieczorek
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2014

Hi Joe,

There was an issue in AC so the add-ons were consuming user licenses but it's marked now as fixed:

https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/AC-1025

Please constanct with the Atlassian support directly to report your problem.

0 votes
abhalla
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2014

The evaluation text is a bug on the order screen. Paid subscriptions have a free evaluation period, but free subscriptions (indicated by the $0/mo price) don't have an evaluation period.

0 votes
Art Ignacio March 10, 2014

Go to "Configure Your OnDemand Instance". Gannt OnDemand shows 500 users a $0/mo, with "Evaluation ends 08 May 2014". No other pricing shown. I'd also like to know the expected pricing.

Adrian Wieczorek
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2014

OK, thanks Art. It looks like a bug for me. Mauro, can you confirm that?

Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2014

I can confirm that when adding the add-on via my.atlassian.comthere is a message being disaplayed like Art Ignacio Mentioned.

I created the following issue to address the problem: https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/AMKT-9412

If the plugin is added via Jira Find-Add-ons section, then no message is displayed.

Cheers,
Mauro

Adrian Wieczorek
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2014

Thanks Mauro!

0 votes
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2014

Hi Andrew,

I just added the addon on my OnDemand test instance and the addon doesn't have a license or evaluation period for me. Where exactly do you see the license evaluation message?

What I did was:
1. Go to find new addons
2. search for gantt
3. Click on Install
4. Click on Manage

I can see is the same plugin you have eu.wisoft.gantt-ondemand but has no license message. The plugin is free so there shouldn't be an evaluation period or user limit.

Feel free to create a support request at support.atlassian.com if you still see an evaluation and we'll look further into it.

Cheers,
Mauro

Suggest an answer