Price for Jira tasks (and related reporting)

Zoltán Lehóczky October 23, 2013

We sometimes have fixed prices for tasks. Is Jira (I guess with custom fields) capable of storing a task's price (where the currency can be of various types) and also do related reporting (e.g. sum of the prices of unresolved tasks for a project) kind of how it is with time tables?

Thank you in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2013

You could leverage 2 or 3 custom fields

1. AMount (number)
  2. Currency (select list)
  3. Reporting Amount (optional field, read-only, the value converted to standard reporting value)

Note that this is made a bit trickier for ondemand since not all plugins are supported.

If you weren't ondemand, I would suggest a plugin like Folio which is tailored to tracking portfolios with nice budgeting reports. https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.greffon.folio

Currency conversion is tricky (accessing accurate converation rates and keeping up to date), but you could get pretty complex with a great free plugin, Script Runner, where you could handle the currency conversion of multiple types to a single reportable value. You can also use the aggregateExpression() function to get the sum using JQL.

But for ondemand you may use something like https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.eazybi.atlassian-connect.eazybi-jira for custom reporting of all sorts, and I beleive allows custom values to be defined on the fly, eliminating the need for field #3. Ortherwise To calculate the "reporting value" (again noting the complex nature of concern, and maintaining accurate means to current rates, etc) you may be able to get clever with groovy via the included plugin JIRA Misc Workflow Extension-

Zoltán Lehóczky October 23, 2013

Thank you Eddie, eazyBI looks like the perfect solution!

0 votes
Sascha Linn October 23, 2013

I agree Eddie! Gotta go with Folio.

Suggest an answer