Previous Workflow Did Not Resolve Issues

Josh Neiman October 23, 2017

Using: JIRA Cloud

TL;DR - We need a method in JIRA Cloud to resolve old issues but make the "Resolution Date" be the same as the date of the last status change on that issue.

Our previous JIRA "admin" did not know how to use the system properly, so, among other problems, our issues were not resolved when taking the final steps of workflows. Since taking over as our JIRA admin I fixed this issue for all workflows, but since we were using a plugin (EazyBI) for our reporting at the time the old issues not being resolved did not present a significant problem.

Recently, we were forced to stop using EazyBI and switch to using the built-in JIRA reporting features, but this presents a problem with the old issues; most of our reports need to show when each issue closed, but without a resolution date that can't be accurately reported. I could easily modify the workflow with a transition loop that will apply the necessary resolution and use bulk changes to get everything done, but the resolution date would be today, which messes up all of our reporting numbers. We need a fix that applies a resolution to the issue with the "Resolution Date" being the same date as the last status change to get these old issues in line with the current ones.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2017

Hello, There's a couple ways to do it, but one documented way is to bulk edit resolution.

Thanks for the link, but I already know how to get the issues to have a resolution applied, the problem is that the "Resolution Date" will be set to the current date when I make the change; I need the "Resolution Date" to mirror the date of the when the issue last changed statuses to keep our reports from displaying incorrect information.

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2017

Ok, then you're going CSV import to fix the status.

Do a jql to pull the the information you need out, copy the date column over.

Map the import and run.

@Gregory Van Den Ham Thanks so much for that; I tested it on a single issue and it worked perfectly.

Marc Jason Mutuc March 5, 2018

How did you do it @Josh Neiman? I tried the CSV import and tried to update the Resolution Date to match the the real resolution date. The scenario is backtracking issues. I'm loading issues today that has already been resolved last month .

0 votes
Carmen Valdés Téllez January 19, 2022

Dear @Josh Neiman , my administrator don't know how to configure in JIRA Cloud so that our  issues were not resolved when taking the final steps of workflows (that are personalized) and neither is getting the resolution date or the issue as resolved, so that it can be shown i gadgets like Created vs resolved,  do you mind explaining me how to get this functionality? 

Thank you in advance,

Carmen

Suggest an answer