Preventing JIRA from saving insecure data on site or in logs

Mathieu Castonguay January 16, 2018

Hello everyone,

I'm working right now on a plugin for JIRA that blocks any potential number of 10 digits that begin with the number 9, for example: it's supposed to block the number "9876543217"

The issue I have right now is I realize JIRA saves everything you write in the fields of JIRA, like the search field and Labels field for example. It saves that information in some logs called "access_log.2018.01.16" but that's something I don't want to happen because it could be a potential breach.

I want to know if there are a way to make sure that information is not saved in the logs or at least being censored immediately?

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2018

Hi Mathieu,

The JIRA Anonymizer anonymizes the following data:

The anonymizer currently replaces the following text with x's:

• Issue summary, environment, and description.
  • Comments, work logs, change logs.
  • Project descriptions.
  • Descriptions for most elements (notification schemes, permission schemes, resolutions).
  • Attachment file names.
  • "Unlimited text" custom fields.

This could perhaps be incorporated into a script to run whenever X happens or on a periodic basis.

Cheers,

Branden

Mathieu Castonguay January 17, 2018

Is JIRA Anonymizer can affect the Activity Stream too? For example, writing "9876543217" in a text field will be replaced with x's for that text field and the Activity Stream as well?

Suggest an answer