Prevent users from logging time under Epic?

Tudor Hofnar October 9, 2013

Currently a user can log work under an Epic, Issue and Sub-Task. Is there any way to prevent (disable) them from logging work under the Epic while allowing them to log work under the Issue and Sub-Task?

Thanks!

Tudor

3 answers

5 votes
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2014

Tudor - This is very easily solved. Assuming you have an existing Workflow for just the Epic issue type, simply add this Property Key to each of the transitions in that Workflow. Leave the Property Value empty. be sure to publish the workflow after creating the draft.

jira.permission.work.denied

Sarah Wilkerson June 12, 2017

Thank you!  This worked for me

Eitan Mizrahi July 20, 2017

How can I define a workflow just for an epic (JIRA software on clound)?

Can you give me an example, please.

Thanks.

Tony Ditola July 11, 2018

I just did this today, thank you. But a point of clarification: it only works if the property is added to the STATUSES, not the TRANSITIONS. Otherwise, it works great.

Like Dan Dorneanu likes this
Rob Peterson October 25, 2021

@Eitan Mizrahi - did you ever get this to work?

Rob Peterson October 25, 2021

Accomplished by:

1. Copied my existing workflow and then renamed it with "- Epics" appended 
  2. Copied the jira.permission.work.denied as instructed to each transition2021-10-25_153955.png
  3. Went into the original workflow, clicked the "Add Workflow" and then assigned it to only the Epic issue type.   

2021-10-25_154143.png

2 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2013

There is a slightly difficult workaround possible. You can have a different workflow for Epics and remove the "Log Work" permission by restricting it on the different statuses in the workflow.

See http://www.j-tricks.com/1/post/2011/02/permissions-based-on-workflow-status.html

Junio Fernandes September 5, 2017

Thank you! That worked for me.

1 vote
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2013

What you can do is define a issue type screen scheme, and for the issue type Epic you remove the field - time tracking from its corresponding screens, so users will not find the field - Original estimate or Time spent field in the first place when they view the Epic.

However you include them for the other issue types.

Here's the link on how it is to be done

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Associating+Screen+and+Issue+Operation+Mappings+with+an+Issue+Type

Hope this helps.

Rahul

Tudor Hofnar October 9, 2013

Thanks Rahul, I have already done that so the Time Tracking fields do not appear on Epics. However, if a user navigates to the Epic in JIRA, they can use the 'More Actions' field and Log Work that way....is there any way to disable this option?

I guess the same question was asked here (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/78960/time-tracking-disabling-ability-to-log-work-for-custom-issue-types) and the answer is no, has there been any change to this?

Suggest an answer