Prevent Search/Lookup for assignees from returning all assigness for some groups

Kenneth Gordon August 25, 2017

We work with 2 different suppliers and have projects dedicted to issues for each.  Currently, any user from either group can can see all of the users in the system, including users from the other suppliers group, e.g. when assigning a user or using the assignee filter in issue search.  Can we prevent these two groups from seeing the other's users?  Can we do it so that internal users can still see all users in the system?  We have a dedicated project for each supplier and use groups (e.g. internal, supplier 1, supplier 2) and permissions to limit access to the project and issues.  So, Project 1 will have permissions that limit browsing projects, creating issues, setting assigness, etc. to the inernal and supplier 1 groups only.  The internal group is assigned to th permissions for both Project 1 and Project 2 as well as many other projects.

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2017

Jira has no functions for that.  There's a list of users, and they are in groups and roles.  The permissions say who can do what with issues, but there's nothing to hide users from one another.

0 votes
Kenneth Gordon August 25, 2017

Correction.  I confirmed that a user from Supplier 1 can't look up users from Supplier 2 in the assign users lookup in the create or edit issue finder.  But as a user from supplier 1, when using the assignee filter in issue search, I can type in the root email for supplier 2 and find all of supplier 2's emails.  Also, if I know any of supplier 2's users by name, I can find them.

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2017

Have a look at the global permission Browse users. 

-Lars 

Kenneth Gordon September 5, 2017

I'm going to restate this problem slightly.  It includes the suggestion by Lars above.

We work with 2 different suppliers and have projects dedicated to issues for each - and confidentiality agreements with each. We use groups to manage users and permissions to projects. We have groups for our internal team, different vendors and the 2 suppliers mentioned above. This works well with restricting access to projects by groups. So, users from supplier 1 can't view issues in project 2 used by users from supplier 2. But, if the global browse user permission is set to all users, i.e. no restrictions, then users from supplier 1 can find the users from supplier 2 using things like the lookup drop down for assignee's in the issue search tool. E.g., by typing in the company name of supplier 1, the lookup tool will return all of the users who have that company name in their email address. That is not good for several reasons not the least of which is maintaining confidentiality.

If I change the global browse user permissions to specific groups and do not include the groups for supplier 1 and supplier 2 (suggested by Lars above), this will prevent these users from finding each other with the assignee lookup tool in issue search, but now the add watcher functionality is broken. Users from supplier 1 can't find users from their own group in the project for supplier 1 (which includes users form our internal group and other vendor groups) to watch the issue using the add watchers tool.

I've sent this issue to JIRA support but if anyone else has helpful suggestions, I would appreciate your insite.

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2017

I have personally been down the same path with no luck unfortunately. 

We would like the users to be able to search for other users in the same domain or project.

-Lars

Suggest an answer